We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
379 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Just back

Ive been going to Ko Phangan off and on for the last 13 years and while there is enevertable change it's still, in my opinion the most wonderful place in Thailand. However gone are the days of 77THB to the £, we were lucky to get 44THB to the £ and that was for cash! You do get a better rate for TC but it costs 33THB commission.

Beer is bout 40-50 Baht in the shops and bout 60-80 in bars. Food? All depends where you eat and what you want. Getting around can be pricey, for example Haad Rin to Thong Sala is 100THB per person and it was a minimum of 3 people to go.

Sad to see the old Chicken Corner gone, but a new 'street' is already built with a new 'Chicken Corner' opening soon.

It was a first time for us going in March and boy it's hot, and getting hotter.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,487 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back

Thank for your report, we will be there for a day trip in May from Samui and looking forward to the heat.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back

Boy... i miss those prices of 60-80 baht for a beer in Thailand..... Went to a restaurant in Vancouver yesterday for dinner - nothing fancy - and a beer was $6.00 Cdn, about 200 baht!

I've been wanting to go to Koh Phangan for a long time.... that will have to be part of my next trip! Down the coast south of Hua Hin to Prachuap Khiri Khan area, and over to KS to KP... Wouldn't want to do it in March though... a little too hot!

Tongson bay, koh...
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back

hi all

very hot indeed at present ,and getting hotter

hopefully may june will start cooling down

agree about the pound dropping ,its affecting many travelers

beers on samui [from shops] still 25 baht up and bars [local]80 baht up

chaweng 100 baht up

still very very cheap to eat and drink in Thailand to many other countries

and all year round warm weather is a huge bonus

cheers

DC

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,661 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back

Hi

We were there when the bottom fell out, it just made the basics seem expensive.

Agree with you about Phangan!

Thanks for sharing!

Manchester,England
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back

Just to give you an idea. When I first went in 1989. A bungalow on the beach was 40 b, a beer 40 b and a good meal 20b. Exchange rate was about 40 baht/pound. My how things change?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back

Hi there chillumpuffer,

We are returning after 22 years (those prices bring back great memories). We are expecting massive changes , but hope we are not disappointed .

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Manchester,England
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back

The last time I was there was 1993. Stayed at Silvery moon bungalow on Ban Khai ( next to Booms Café). We had no electricity and we had an honesty book which we paid every month. It was bliss. A friend went a couple of years ago and he told me I would weep if I saw the place.

The first FMP we were at there was about 100 people. Chilling with sweet smoke and Mehkong. For me my pictures and memories are best kept with me

8. Re: Just back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 05:16