We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too many beach, street dogs

South Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
39 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Too many beach, street dogs

I love animals but tired of sitting in a restaurant, food court with sick, mangy dogs. They are in packs now. Today I counted 5 dogs together in my hotel. I know, live and let live but owners need to take care of these pets. The fur is full of sores , not fixed , I have seen many times 6 males following a female in heat in the food court. Isn't a pleasant sight. I think if the mayor, hotel owners sent out letters vets from other countries may come to castrate some of these dogs...free stay for spading...we have been bitten twice on our trips to thailand...

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,954 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too many beach, street dogs

You will find that most don't have owners - I'm afraid streets dogs are a fixture in most cities in Thailand, they are mostly allowed to wander without being bothered as the Thais believe they have a right to a free life too. It's a long time problem. I've been going to Thailand since 1994 and have never been bitten, whilst living on Samui I used to help a girl to inject the dogs to try and get rid of the mange, now there is the Dog and Cat Rescue Centre on Samui run by a German lady and there are far few dogs than there used to be - she does a great job and relies on public support to keep her going. Soi Dogs is another charity that does great works throughout Thailand.

South Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
39 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too many beach, street dogs

That is good ...I've seen on koh samui dog round up to be sold to other country's for food. .i believe this practice has stopped. Medical doctors do travel to help country's with out funds to do it themselves. I hope someday this will happen. We too have been traveling to thailand for years. It's seems worst this year. Beach dogs on the beach fine. I think they should not allowed in resorts, too many small children..it's not fair to the dogs, starving ..

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too many beach, street dogs

The dogs have a right to life, in many places there was enough areas and available food being given that it was not a big issue. Some areas of Thailand they get more food and more areas in which to live. As more development comes there is less for them.

If you have been bitten twice that is very bad luck, I have been here 25 years and lived in many areas with lots of soi dogs and never had any problems at all.

Edited: 03 April 2013, 03:02
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too many beach, street dogs

There is an organisation on the island that takes care of the dogs throughout the island and vets do come over from overseas to help out. The problem is that not enough come out so they are limited in what they can do. But they do as much as they can. If you know any vets that want to help out contact PAC (Phangan Animal Care) http://www.pacthailand.org/

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too many beach, street dogs

Thanks for posting that link I had a vague idea there was some organization but did not know the name. So if anyone wants to donate, there it is :)

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,954 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too many beach, street dogs

I hadn't realised there was an organisation on KP, good to know.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too many beach, street dogs

Good to know there's people there trying to do something about this problem.

Amsterdam, The...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Too many beach, street dogs

Two dogs were terrorizing our cat, Animal Care people came to vaccinate them, and discovered that the female was pregnant. They promised to come back and sterilize her, but they did not do that and now we have 7 dogs instead of 2 under our house. Where I come from, when there is not enough room in animal shelters, the stray dogs are put to sleep. The thing with dogs is that they are basically wolves that are not afraid of humans and that will cause problems sooner or later when they are running loose. They will protect their territory and over generations they will choose any smaller and slower moving subject to train their young to hunt. Not to mention diseases that they carry.

South Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
39 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too many beach, street dogs

Thank you...I will try.

10. Re: Too many beach, street dogs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 02:28