We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 months muay thai...... visa extenstion

Which Ko Pha Ngan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
6 months muay thai...... visa extenstion

hi all, im staying at Diamond Muay Thai hopfully for 6 months depending on visa issues... ive spoke to the guys at the camp and its all arranged i'll be arriving on the 11th of july. Paying for the first 3 months al in (food, accom,training). Just wanted a bit of advice on extending my time once the intially 60 days is up, i have read you can extend in Koh Samui for an extra 30 days! what happens after that?? any advice?

I know once i get there the guys at the gym will tell me all i need but i just wanted some sort of idea before i arrive, my budget will let me stay there for a max of 6 months maybe longer if im carfull however i know Thailand is hot on outstaying your welcome. adam

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 months muay thai...... visa extenstion

You can extend a 60 day tourist visa by 30 days inside Thailand but only once. If you want to extend it again you will need to leave and re-enter Thailand. You will receive a 30 day visa waiver if you re-enter by air but only 30 if by land or sea.

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 months muay thai...... visa extenstion

Thankyou so much for your reply! having real trouble understanding all the rules! see to go over my head!

The only other thing i would ask you is about onward travel, ive read that sometimes they wont let you if you dont have proof of leaving the country, i have purchased a one way ticket and dont have any type of visa.??

any advice of info would be much appriciated. thankyou, adam

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 months muay thai...... visa extenstion

Oh dear. I think you have two problems, big ones! The maximum stay without a visa is 30 days when visitors with certain passports receive a 30 day waiver. Airlines also require that you should have a return or onward ticket. There's your two problems.

So first what country's passport do you hold? If it is one that entitles you to a 30 day waiver I would advise applying to your Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate for a 60 day Visitor's visa. However, I would phone them to ask their advice on the best procedure given you have only a one way ticket. That may result in you having to purchase your return ticket in order to qualify for a visa. Visas for entrance on just a single entrance are strictly limited to certain defined circumstances which I don't think include yours.

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 months muay thai...... visa extenstion

Im from uk, im looking going to my nearest consulote to get a mulit entry visa as they seem fairly easy to obtain, each entry giving you 90 days, when you say i need a return to get a visa it dosent state that on the consulates website, its ays if you have a one way you just need appropiate visa?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 months muay thai...... visa extenstion

I agree that a multi-entry visa, each entry giving you 90 days is easy to obtain, so long as you qualify for one and for the purpose of your visit. From the information you have provided, i.e. visiting for the purpose of training at a Muay Thai Camp. To all intents and purposes that is visiting for a holiday in which case the Visa Entry Requirements on the UK Royal Thai Consulate website at www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx… states that you are entitled to a 60 day stay with a Visitor passport or 90 days with a Non-Immigrant visa. However, the criteria for qualifying for this type of visa are very limited and are set out in the Application Pack at www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx… They clearly do not include the purpose for which you are entering Thailand. So my previous advice remains.

As for the need for a return or exit flight, the purpose of Visas is among other things to ensure that there is no illegal immigration. How would the Thai authorities be able to ensure this is visitors were just allowed to enter but with no record of when or if they are to depart. An exception of this would be someone entering Thailand to work but for that they would still need a specific type of Visa and a Work Permit.

I really do think you should contact the Royal Thai Consulate to clarify your position. The one at Hull is excellent and very efficient. Telephone 01482 581668.

Ko Pha Ngan...
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 months muay thai...... visa extenstion

You can get a double entry tourist visa in the UK, which will last you 6 months. After the fisrt 60 days is up go to immigration on Samui and get a 30 day extension. Once that is up you have to do a border run to Malaysia for the second visa to start, giving you another 60 days. Once that is up go to Samui again and extend it for an additional 30 days.

Diamond Muay Thai may be able to get you a Non-immigrant education visa. You should ask them about this.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 months muay thai...... visa extenstion

Khaolak Yoga,

"You can get a double entry tourist visa in the UK, which will last you 6 months." - just for clarification, that means you have 6 months to use it not that it lasts for 6 months. Please explain for others' future benefit how "Diamond Muay Thai may be able to get you a Non-immigrant education visa."

Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 months muay thai...... visa extenstion

That all makes sense to me now, i have spoken to DIAMOND MUAY THAI and they say to get a double enrty and extend while im there and do a visa run wich they will hepl me with, I have heard nothing but good things about the Hull consulote and this is they one that alot of people have recommended to me there special postal service is very good.

As for the non-immigrant visa, that was the one that would have been perfect for me but due to my circumstances i couldnt apply as i i didnt no when iwas going plus i needed letter from the camp i was staying and they havent offered that.

I appriciate your time and helpfull advice, put my mind at ease even though i will be cutting it fine should have it sorted for when i fly out.

Also i was speaking to Simon who runs Diamon Muay thai and he has lived there for some time and often gone aon a one way ticket and has never been asked to provide prove of onward travel... i suppose they pick and choose. Thanks so much

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,678 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 months muay thai...... visa extenstion

Adam

Glad that you are going to get your visa sorted. We use the Hull Consulate and cannot speak highly enough of them. They really are very helpful.

The problem with assuming you will be OK with a one way ticket is that it is the airlines that check on this when you check in because they are required to ensure compliance with Visa requirements before they let you check in. Otherwise if you arrive in Bangkok and they are not satisfied with your entry and departure arrangements they may refuse entry. It will only cost you a phone call to Hull to confirm that you are OK as opposed to the wasted cost of a flight and being refused entrance.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,658 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 months muay thai...... visa extenstion

Adam,

The difference in cost between a one-way ticket and a return is usually minimal. As such, you may be better of getting one.