We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help choosing a resort

S G
Sheffield
Level Contributor
301 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Help choosing a resort

I'm going to be on Ko Phangan in August with my boyfriend, and we're having trouble choosing where to stay. Our main priority is to avoid the partying and busier areas, so places like Hat Rin and Ban Tai are definitely out! We like good food but we don't care about nightlife, our worst nightmare is to stay somewhere that's full of people getting drunk and loud so we prefer quiet restaurants to lively bars. We want somewhere peaceful and pretty, but that isn't too isolated - neither of us like just lying on a beach, we like to see and do things, so we want to be able to get around and explore the island without having to pay a fortune to hire boats/taxis.

If anyone has a recommendation for an area of the island you think would suit it, that'd be really helpful. Thanks!

We're also considering spending some time on Ko Tao, so any recommendations for areas there that would suit us would also be great.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,562 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help choosing a resort

Have a look at Had Yao / Had Salad area - very chilled! You will have to compromise on something, but both places offer a good balance.

Are you late 20's / 30 somethings?

Edited: 08 July 2013, 07:05
S G
Sheffield
Level Contributor
301 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help choosing a resort

I did think those areas sounded like they might suit us, but I wasn't sure how easy it would be to get from there to other parts of the island. We don't want to end up stuck in one place because of transport dificulties/expense. And yes, we're in our early 30s.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,319 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help choosing a resort

Hi,

From Haad Salad you will be able to take a songtaow to other parts of the island even if you do have to travel into Thong Sala first. The chances are that you will be able to get a longtail boat too.

Saratoga, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help choosing a resort

We just stayed at the buri rasa on thong nai pan noi beach. We found it to have the right mix of activities and quiet.

S G
Sheffield
Level Contributor
301 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help choosing a resort

Thanks - did you find it easy to get around or did you have to rent a motorbike or pay a fortune for taxis/boats? Neither of us have ever ridden a motorbike before and I really don't think Koh Phangan is the place to learn!!

Saratoga, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help choosing a resort

Our friends who travelled with us rented a motorbike for 150 bhat. We kayaked (easily) to the nearby beach. We did a snorkeling your that allowed us to see other parts of the island and see te beautiful marine life. Also, should you choose to stay at the buri rasa they will help with transport.

Saratoga, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help choosing a resort

Our friends who travelled with us rented a motorbike for 150 bhat. We kayaked (easily) to the nearby beach. We did a snorkeling your that allowed us to see other parts of the island and see te beautiful marine life. Also, should you choose to stay at the buri rasa they will help with transport.

Also there is a village that you can walk thru for restaurants, bars, shops etc

8. Re: Help choosing a resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 10:35
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help choosing a resort

Kaye is spamming this forum and others with the same advertising disguised as a Blog link.

Please hit the button!

Tommo

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help choosing a resort

Thong Nai Pan Beach is really great but indeed isolated. It is a long drive to the rest of the island. However, it is fantastic and authentic. Stayed there 5 days in January, did not get bored and will go back next January again. There are at least 3 very good 5 star resorts there but I don't know what your budget is. A very small village with cheap restaurants and food on the beach too. I guess you could rent a scooter but there are many accidents, though they seem to be mainly self-inflicted and with alcohol involved. Most places on Phangan will be isolated exept the southern strip where it is party on.

Get answers to your questions about Ko Pha Ngan