We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Koh Phangan

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Koh Phangan

HI! I am arriving in Bangkok (BKK) at 11:55am

How long might it take me to get through the airport (I don't plan on having checked luggage)/immigration etc?

I want to get to Koh Phangnan. I thought to take the SA city train service I read about - stated train takes 18 minutes leaving frequently to DMK and from there to fly to Surat Thani (the only flight I can make departs 15:50 and arrives at 17:00 at Surat Thani. So what is the easiest and most cost effective way to get to either of the ports to catch the ferry and will I make the last ferry? I see the Raja Ferry last departure is 18:30 - would I get there on time?

Failing that - what are my options? The overnight train? was hoping to cut down on travel time as I don't have long in KP but may be my only option?

Thanks in advance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Koh Phangan

There is a shuttle bus service between the airports which will be quicker than trains.

Air Asia and Nok Air have tickets which include flight, ferry, and transfers.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Koh Phangan

Hi

As said above get the combinations ticket ether with Nok airs ( Nakon Sri Thammarat ) or air Asia ( Suratthani). By buying combinations tickets you don't have to worry about bus or ferry transfers.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Koh Phangan

If you arrive in Surat Thani at 17:00 you will not be able to catch the last ferry, though you could get the night boat that leaves at 11pm. But I personally do not recommend this boat. You are better off staying in BKK for the night and flying in the morning or spending a night in Surat Thani and taking the first ferry over.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Koh Phangan

Firstly, thanks for all the replies! The information is kind of overwhelming (at first :D)

1. (MIKE) I also read that on a few websites, but then read about the fast train, I thought it might be something new?

2. It does seem like a good combination! I thought it was a lot more expensive to do this, is there a cheaper option? So far, the over night trains are only a little less expensive? (sleeper car options)

3. Okay - so that leaves either the over night train then or a night in surat thani or bangkok.

is there another option I should consider? I am trying to inexpensively, but when looking up over night train and ferry and shuttles, it almost seems as expensive as Nok airs all inclusive package?

thanks so much !

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Koh Phangan

and if I have to stay overnight in either bangkok or surat thani (if I choose to fly), it would then be cheaper to take the overnight train thailandtrainticket.com/trainticket/index.asp

this site offers train to koh phangan, so I assume transfer and ferry is included in the price?

Thanks,,

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Koh Phangan

If the sites says " trains to kohphangan " then its means train+ transfers to pier +ferry package.

If the fares for train + transfers + ferry are not much different than flights package then I would go with flight instead of train.

Thai trains has well reputations for running late ..some time very late !

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,599 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Koh Phangan

Hi,

There is also a bus/catamaran option: www.lomprayah.com

8. Re: Getting to Koh Phangan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2014, 05:17