We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beaches in April

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best beaches in April

I'm planning to go to Koh Phangan with my boyfriend (both late 20's) for the full moon party in April. We want to take in the atmosphere of the party but also be able to escape to a quieter part of the island when things get crazy (max 30 - 35 drive). We're planning to stay a few days and want a nice beach as well as a good hop off point for exploring the island. With this being low tide season, I'm wondering if all beaches on the west are horrible for any sort of swimming or dipping in to cool off? I read somewhere that maybe Ao Chao Phao is quiet nice even in low tide and great for snorkelling, but other sites seem to disagree. Can anyone comment?

Also, with April's FMP falling around the same time has Songkran, is it important to book ahead of time as opposed to just arriving 3 or 4 days prior to the party.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,646 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beaches in April

Hi,

I would head to the east of the island. Regardless of Songhkran you are advised to book a hotel in advance for the FMP. Do note that most places have a policy whereby you are required to book a minimum of 4 or 5 nights.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,077 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beaches in April

Many places will be book out for the FMP, it is not advisable to just turn up and hope to find something, you may be disappointed. I don't any of the beaches have any particular issues with tides in April, but if you want to escape the party scene then the north of the island can be quieter and as AA says also the east. The south and west coasts are the most accessible for the FMP so will tend to be busier and more booked out and noisier.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beaches in April

Perfect. Thanks for the help. I'll book before I go and look to the north or east for swimming!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,646 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beaches in April

Hi Lizzy,

You may find the link below useful:

http://www.phangan.info/

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beaches in April

Yes, the link is very helpful - thanks AA.

Is air conditioning a must in April or will the fan with an ocean breeze (providing I stay ocean front) be enough to keep cool at night?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,077 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beaches in April

As you are used to a colder climate I would say you will definitely need air con. I usually go in June/July and have an ocean front room with fan and I am used to hot summers, but still find it warm and April is a very hot month.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beaches in April

April is the hottest month of the year so I would advice you get a/c.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,646 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beaches in April

Hi Lizzy,

I am used to the heat but need an AC, especially in April.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beaches in April

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll make sure to book ac!

10. Re: Best beaches in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2015, 05:30