We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Koh Phangan from Bangkok?

Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Koh Phangan from Bangkok?

Hi All,

I am going to Thailand in March 2015 for 3 weeks. First stop will be the full moon party and I was wondering if anybody can provide some suggestions on how to get to Koh Phangan from Bangkok (leaving Bangkok Wednesday 4th March)? I do realise that there are several options such as overnight buses/trains, 1 hour flights to Koh Samui and ferries from Koh Samui and Surat Thani, plus a bus rides from airports to the ferry piers.... Long story short, if anybody has some great suggestions, that would be great - inc price, time of travel, best flight/ferry carrier.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
629 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Koh Phangan from Bangkok?

I recently went through both planning wise and travel wise. We ended up Air Bangkok direct from BKK. Then at the airport, just book the ferry. They shuttle you direct to the dock.

It's not the most cost effective way but by far time wise the best. Plus if you book early, the airfares are reasonable

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Koh Phangan from Bangkok?

I always fly from BKK to Surat Thani and take a ferry from there. You can book the flight/transfer/ferry directly with Air Asia and Nok Air.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
148 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Koh Phangan from Bangkok?

I just came back from 3 weeks in Thailand and also went to Koh Phangan. I booked through air asia and a transfer to Surat Thani, but after flying both Nok air and air asia, I prefer Nok air as it didn't have additional fees for luggage and seats, processing fees. It was about $35 each way. Since I bought the transfer along with plane tickets, it was with raja ferry, and bus. Although you could arrive to surat thani and buy the transfers from the airport, Lompraya is the fastest. But you'd have to schedule your flight to arrive to meet the bus schedule and catamaran schedule. Its doable if you plan it good. Takes about 1 1/2 hrs to don sak pier, and about 2-2 1/2s to koh Phangan. I don't recommend raja bc it took us 3 1/2 hrs and seatran was delayed 75 min when we used them to go to koh tao. I don't recall the prices but they are all about the same, lompraya might be a little more, but you save time

Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Koh Phangan from Bangkok?

Thanks for the info guys! I think I'll be catching the Bangkok Airways flight from Bangkok to Koh Samui Airport (1hr5m), cab to Bangrak Pier (15m) and Lamprayah ferry to Thong Sala Pier,Koh Phangan (20m). All in all depending on the flight times, we might be waiting a while or everything may match up. All up this will probably cost $114-134 AUD which is quite expensive in comparison to the Thai currency. There are many more cheaper options but I chose comfort/travel time over price.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
629 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Koh Phangan from Bangkok?

Yes not cheapest but IMHO, fastest and easiest.

We were on the flight that landed at 7:05 am on Samui and were easily able to catch the 8 am ferry. There is a ferry booking desk in the very small airport. You can't miss it. We book transfer to ferry and ferry when we got there with no issues.

Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Koh Phangan from Bangkok?

Thanks Martygirl!

7. Re: How to get to Koh Phangan from Bangkok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 05:16