We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No idea which part of the island to stay - please help

West Midlands
Level Contributor
449 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
No idea which part of the island to stay - please help

Hey guys

Sorry to bore you with one of these questions again but after reading and reading I still do not have any idea where to stay on the island. It seems to me that the beaches are beautiful all over the island but what we want are beach restaurant and beach bars. It would be good to have a town to do a bit of shopping. There will be myself, hubby and our 6 year old daughter. We do not like to be tided to the hotel but like to visit different restaurants. Please can anyone advise where best place would be for us.

Many thanks in advance

Jo x

Ko Pha Ngan...
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No idea which part of the island to stay - please help

Thong Nai Pan Yai is popular among families and seems to meet all of your requirements. Another option is Haad Salad

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,583 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No idea which part of the island to stay - please help

Agree with KLY above. Thong Nai Pan is a stunning beach in the north, great for little ones too. We stayed at Haad Salad last year and loved it, but it is a bit rocky getting into the sea and maybe not so good with a little one.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,128 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No idea which part of the island to stay - please help

Hi,

I agree with both of the above. Thong Nai Pan is likely to suit.

Co Durham
Level Contributor
338 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No idea which part of the island to stay - please help

There are loads of children here in Haad Salad at the moment, our 6 year old seems happy here. With a pair of water shoes the slightly rocky sea floor wouldn't be a problem. The sand is amazing and the place is quiet enough for families without being lifeless!

We are loving it after our first 24 hours here!

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,583 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No idea which part of the island to stay - please help

Don't get me wrong, Haad Salad is a gorgeous little beach and very friendly and away from some of the crazy beaches that KP is renowned for. We loved eating at Salad Hut, the staff were super friendly and the food was delicious - I would happily return there.

Co Durham
Level Contributor
338 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No idea which part of the island to stay - please help

So Thong Nai Pan has been added to our trip list. If it's as nice as here we will love it for a day.

As long as we get to do this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL6-7UCrEFM

West Midlands
Level Contributor
449 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No idea which part of the island to stay - please help

Thank you all. Have looked lots at Thong Nai Pan Yai. Love the beaches, love the beach bars/restaurants but bit worried tht we may get bored as have read there is not a town to stroll around. Any other ideas please>

Thanks Jo

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No idea which part of the island to stay - please help

Thong Pan is boring with terrible road access. Id pick Haad Yao. Road is much better so you easily visit Thong Sala market area.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No idea which part of the island to stay - please help

For my two cents worth, I vote Haad Salad. It's popular with families for a reason (watched countless kids running in and out of beach with no concern of rocks??- maybe stroll down the beach a bit to soft sand if it's a problem) though there's only a handful of shops, there's plenty of restaurants to chose from. You can go to Tongsala for shopping. Enjoy!

Ko Pha Ngan...
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No idea which part of the island to stay - please help

Thong Nai Pan has two villages to walk around in (Yai & Noi), so not sure where you heard this information. Also, as of a few months ago the road is completely paved. I think there is more in Thong Nai Pan than in Haad Salad, though both beaches are beautiful. Haad Salad is more accessible to other parts of the island as Thong Nai Pan is quite remote.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 14:28