We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Phi Phi Island - too far from the action?

Which Ko Phi Phi Don hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn Phi Phi Island - too far from the action?

I am trying to decide which hotel to book while I am on Phi Phi Island. The Holiday Inn looks very nice (and is available) but appears to be far from Ton Sai Bay where all of the bars, restaurants and action is. I would like to relax on a nice, quiet beach/pool during the day but still have easy access to restaurants and bars at night. Will I be able to get back to the Holiday Inn at night (err... early morning) after a night of partying???

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,135 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn Phi Phi Island - too far from the action?

Yes, it's far away on a different bay. If you can get to and from Tonsai Bay at night by boat it will cost you ! How much I don't know. Perhaps you should contact the hotel and ask what arrangements they have or travelling to and from the Holiday Inn.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn Phi Phi Island - too far from the action?

We compromised a bit to be closer to Tonsai to be able to visit easily and are staying at Bay View Resort in one of the Grand Deluxe villas. Looks nice on the website but not luxurious - you have to keep in mind that you are on an island where the accommdation is more beach like and not 5* luxury.

For us the proximity to the township area is great but then again we have a beach out the front that is a bit removed from the main area and would be quieter. Felt it would be a good compromise - we are staying in January. Cheers, Karen

Edited: 09 November 2011, 23:42
Scotland
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn Phi Phi Island - too far from the action?

If you want proximity to Tonsai, then the Bay View is a better option. It's not nearly as luxurious as the Holiday Inn but it is really unique; individual wooden villas of varying sizes and standards on a big hill (not good if you don't like walking!) with AMAZING views from the terraces. Great restaurant right on the beach, breakfast included with the price of the rooms. It's quiet and out of the main action, so great for relaxing, but only a 15 minute walk into the centre of Tonsai (or back at the end of the night), and there are loads of bars and restaurants along the way.

You'd probably get one of the top rooms for less than you'd be paying at the Holiday Inn as well.

On the other hand, the Holiday Inn is a much more luxurious, 5* resort style experience, and if that's what you're after you'd be better staying there. You can get to and from Tonsai by boat, you just have to negotiate with them; bear in mind that your negotiating position won't be strong when you're trying to get home at the end of the night!

I think a lot of it depends on how long you'll be in Phi Phi for and what you want from your time there - my husband and I usually stay in 4* or 5* hotels but when we go to Phi Phi we quite happily stay somewhere a bit more basic to be in the heart of the action for the few days that we're there.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn Phi Phi Island - too far from the action?

I love the Holiday Inn, it is truly a relaxing detination - but if you want to party the night away it may not be for you.

This place is more about sunbaking, reading, swimming, massage, maybe a day trip on the long tails etc.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn Phi Phi Island - too far from the action?

Hi Lulu, we're in Thailand early January (trying to avoid the worst of the Scottish winter!) and looking to go to Phi Phi for a few days. Love the sound of the Bay View. My brother lives in Pattaya, what do you reckon is the best way to travel to Phi Phi?? Any handy hints you'd like to share, gratefully received.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,135 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn Phi Phi Island - too far from the action?

Hi,

The quickest but not the cheapest is to fly to Phuket or Krabi and then boat to Phi Phi. Please note that Phuket has more flights. Air Asia tends to be cheaper, especially if you book in advance. Also Air Asia goes to both Phuket and Krabi.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn Phi Phi Island - too far from the action?

I'd add another vote for the Bayview - have stayed there three times and it's in the best location and has the best views. Nothing can beat sitting on their balconies before dinner with a drink, watching the sea and listening to the birds pack up for the day. If you like the idea of the Bayview and can spare a little more, ask for an Arayaburi room. It's the same hotel in the same beautiful grounds, but the bungalows are bigger and a bit more lovely. You will get fit staying here - there's an uphill walk to the rooms but it's not too arduous and is worth it. There are a couple of little buggies so the exhausted can get a lift.

8. Re: Holiday Inn Phi Phi Island - too far from the action?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2012, 10:23