We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laem Tong to Ton Sai

Which Ko Phi Phi Don hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tyabb, Victoria...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Laem Tong to Ton Sai

We are looking at staying at Zeavola in March next year and would like to know if anyone can tell us about transport from there to Ton Sai. I know we will be able to hire long tail boats at the Gypsy Village, but does anyone know how long it would take, cost and whether it's safe to take one at night if we wanted to go out in Ton Sai for a bit of nightlife? Also will we be able to hire them at all hours of the day...say if we wanted to do an early morning snorkelling tour?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laem Tong to Ton Sai

It is roughly a 30min trip - pasty some amazing scenery!

Price wil vary depending on what you want to do, a round trip to visit and shop may be about 1200baht, a full day tour to islands and snorkelling 1800baht to 2000baht.

No problems going early morning, they prefer that, a 7am start is common.

Longtails at night is up to the operator and the weather, it is possible but it will depend on the day and the conditions.

Tyabb, Victoria...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Laem Tong to Ton Sai

thanks for your reply MelbourneKimberley. I'm thinking it might be better to split our time on Phi Phi and stay closer to Ton Sai for a night or two before going around to Zeavola. It will get expensive travelling back and forth I think. Any ideas on a nice place to stay closer to Ton Sai?

Thanks again

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laem Tong to Ton Sai

I have never stayed in that area, we always stay at the Holiday Inn that shares a beach with Zeavola.

However I am told that the Cabana and Banyan Villa's are nice and generally that is where I would suggest - we usually make day trips around to the main township but not realy being party people we don't feel that we are missing much, I am more than happy to sit on my balcony or on the beach having a few drinks.

Are you staying elsewhere in Thailand while away? We usually spend a week in Phuket or krabi and then head over to Phi Phi and really enjoy the quiet and remote beach that you will find at Zeavola.

There are a few restaruants on the beach and bars on the hotels, no clubs or anything but for relaxation its wonderful.

Tyabb, Victoria...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Laem Tong to Ton Sai

We are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary (the point of the trip) and will spend 3 nights on Koh Yao, the the Koyao Pavillions. Then we move on to Phi Phi for 5 nights then to Phuket for 5 nights.

Koh Yao will be relaxing and secluded. Then whilst on Phi Phi, we would like to do lots of snorkeling. We are quite interested in doing a few of the tours that the Adventure Club organise, like the shark snorkeling and night snorkeling. So maybe we should just take a longtail around for that day.

We figure Phuket will be our time to shop and check out a few bars. We're not interested in bar hopping or going crazy as it's a special trip to celebrate this time in our marriage, but figure by the time we get to Phuket, we might be ready for a little more action.

Having stayed near Zeavola, you would know if organising tours to Maya Bay, Moskito Island, Bamboo Island, etc are able to be organised at the Gypsy Village. Approximately how much do these tours cost do you know? Also is there anywhere else, maybe off the beaten track with great snorkeling, that we could take a tour to? Maybe somewhere that most people don't go unless they know to ask?

We are pretty happy to spend our time on Phi Phi together and aren't particularly interested in drinking in a bar until 5am...having never been there though, it's hard to know what is around the area we've chosen to stay at, and I guess we're a bit nervous about being stuck at a resort with nowhere close by to explore.

Any advice you can give would be great.

Tyabb, Victoria...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Laem Tong to Ton Sai

Sorry, I see you've already advised how much a full day of sightseeing and snorkelling will cost, so please ignore that question :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laem Tong to Ton Sai

If you speak to the locals at the sea gypsy village they will also be able to advise you of places to go snorkelling, there is a reef offshore and a pontoon that has excellent diving.

The best part is that you can head out really early and miss all of the crowds and be back in time to enjoy the afternoon on the beach, cooking class, walking, massage or even a visit to Tonsai Bay.

You can also organise tours through your resort, there is plenty to do, fishing, trips to Tonsai either on foot or long tail, canoe, walk around to the island village resort and the little village located behind the resort.

It is a really lovely spot, I love it and we have returned many times, having a meal at Jasmine restaurant or Pepper Chilli is an experience in itself, great food in rustic settings.

You won't be bored, it is beautiful!

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laem Tong to Ton Sai

Some more questions about getting around from the Zeavola to the main village (going next month)

Do you pay at the end of the round trip or do you have to pay for each seperately ?

What about late night - if we are in the main village - is it likely to be easy to get a longtail back to the Zeavola ?

Will it cost a lot more (like late night taxi's...)

I can see a nightmare scenario if it gets rough (does this happen?) - what then ?

Tyabb, Victoria...
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Laem Tong to Ton Sai

alot of my concerns bobgb....hoping there's someone that can answer your questions. I'm thinking it might be easier to spend a couple of nights near Ton Sai, do some tours and shopping and then head round to Zeavola. That is of course if there's somewhere decent to stay near Ton Sai.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Laem Tong to Ton Sai

Zeavola handle transfers from phuket airport direct to the hotel beach via speedboat so getting to the hotel isnt an issue, ive since heard that longtails are available from the main village pier 24/7 weather allowing. Li was advised longtails from the village by zeavola should be used as they want to get home later too... Weather allowing.

There are a number of bars and restaurants around zeavola, so all in all its looking ok, weather permitting...

10. Re: Laem Tong to Ton Sai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 05:47