We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All hotels/bungalows on Phi Phi have bad reviews?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
201 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
All hotels/bungalows on Phi Phi have bad reviews?

I'm trying to find some options to stay on Phi Phi that are charming, close to the beach and nightlife but far enough away to be quiet. I see some options on the map that look like good locations, but it seems like everything I click on has "25% reccommend," "57%recommend," and some bad reviews and so on.

Are all accommodations on Phi Phi bad or is everyone who goes there just rude, entitled, and afraid of insects and different cultures?

We're not interested in big resorts and being isolated in a luxury resort. A nice mom and pop type place with charm and some amenities is what we're looking for.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,334 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All hotels/bungalows on Phi Phi have bad reviews?

Phi Phi accommodation is generally over-priced, which I think helps to generate extra bad reviews because people are paying maybe twice as much as normal, but not seeing the extra quality they may expect for the outlay..

I also get the impression that many accommodation providers are not as attentive to their customers & maintenance of their property, because they know tourists will continue to flock in huge numbers & pay the prices being asked for regardless.

Just my opinion anyway

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
201 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All hotels/bungalows on Phi Phi have bad reviews?

Makes sense. Does anyone have any suggestions of hotels/bungalows?

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,334 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All hotels/bungalows on Phi Phi have bad reviews?

I've stayed at JJ Bungalows on both trips this year. Reasonably priced, large rooms, nice pool & although close to the main beach, shops & bars, its quiet as its tucked around behind the little hill.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All hotels/bungalows on Phi Phi have bad reviews?

I'm having the same issue and everything seems over my budget as we are going in November so prices seem really high.

We wernt wanting to pay more than £15 a night but looks like we might have to stay in some questionable accomodation.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All hotels/bungalows on Phi Phi have bad reviews?

High Season in November so prices are adjusted accordingly.... Holiday Inn is nice but then again you tend to pay for what you get. ;)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All hotels/bungalows on Phi Phi have bad reviews?

I'm so happy I've found this conversation! I'm having the same issue - every place seems to have terrible reviews and is grossly overpriced. I am there in March '14, so high season as well, and have been scouring the Internet looking for places that are semi-affordable and I won't be eaten by giant tropical bugs. Thanks so much for the recommendation JayNewCastle - JJ Bungalows is definitely making my short list...which now has 2 places on it. Quite the short list. LOL

Whitney - what other places do you have in mind - I'm also looking at Ivory Phi Phi Hotel. Looks like a small place, but reviews look ok from what I've read so far.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All hotels/bungalows on Phi Phi have bad reviews?

Jay - Is it possible to walk from JJs into TonSai Bay and/or LohDaLum Bay area at night for parties and such, or is it far? Keep in mind I'm female travelling solo. Unless I have the location wrong, it looks like it is a bit out of the way and sort of secluded. Google maps is not much help on this island. :o)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
201 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All hotels/bungalows on Phi Phi have bad reviews?

I was looking at Mama Beach Residence, but they're not showing availability. I'm wondering if they're actually booked or if they just don't have their calendar out that far yet.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,334 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All hotels/bungalows on Phi Phi have bad reviews?

cdn77, JJ Bungalow is a short walk, less than 10 mins from Lah Dalum beach. Its a fairly busy area with both locals & tourists, although I haven't walked around after about 11pm. There are small guesthouses & little shops all the way along the path, so its pretty safe to walk.

Tonsai Bay is maybe a 15min walk though the centre of the town area.

Central Phi Phi is a fairly small & busy area, & easy to explore, once you've memorised all the little paths.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 16:38
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All hotels/bungalows on Phi Phi have bad reviews?

I just did a review for a place and gave it 4 out of 5, called Phi Phi Dream. I think it was around £30 a night which is reasonable for 2 people. Only 8-10 mins walk from the main pier and offers access to both of the main beaches. It was decent for what we wanted, but not luxurious or anything!