We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phi Phi or Koh Samui for christmas?!

Which Ko Phi Phi Don hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Phi Phi or Koh Samui for christmas?!

Me and 3 friends are travelling South East Asia from August this year until roughly March next year, we will be coming into Thailand from Malaysia in December. We are going to be spending New years eve in Koh Phangag and were originally going to spend Christmas in Koh Samui.

We have heard really bad reviews on Koh Samui since!! We are early 20s and want to party, but we've heard people compare Koh Samui to Magaluf?!

We've now been told we should go to Phi Phi?! Please could someone give us some help!!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,135 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phi Phi or Koh Samui for christmas?!

Hi,

I think there will be a lot of partying at all three places. If you have the time do go to Phi Phi otherwise stick to Koh Phangan. Whatever, I do advise booking a guest house/hotel in advance.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phi Phi or Koh Samui for christmas?!

Hii there ,,,

Koh Samui is big developed island and there is many places to see. The most busiest beach here will be Chaweng so guess thats what you are looking for.

I love PhiPhi more than Samui as its small island and everythibg is walking distance. There is no carz or motorbikes here. Everyone is walking.

Take our friend advice above and make sure you book your guest houses in advance, very difficult to find one in high season.

Have a good holiday.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phi Phi or Koh Samui for christmas?!

Something else to consider is that most hotels on Koh Phangan have a minimum stay during FMP times and NYE etc. They can be up to 5 days and most accommodation books quickly. I would be asking on the KP forum for suggestions as to where to stay.

It is also peak season all over Thailand and it is very busy pretty much everywhere so I would suggest that wherever you decide to travel you should book transport and hotels early.

Koh Samui is a beautiful island that has one busy area - Chaweng. If you stay away from this (even in the southern area of this beach) you will find it not so busy etc. I do think that if you want to party then you should look at the Chaweng area to save on taxi costs. I have no idea of Magaluf so can't compare.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phi Phi or Koh Samui for christmas?!

Hi

December /January is peak season all over Thailand as Allie says. Most of the hotels in koh phangan during full moon period imposing 3-5 nights minimum stay and 5-7nights during new year period. Book ASAP.

If you are going to be in koh phangan you might as well visit koh Samui. That being said koh phi phi which located in west coast / andamn coast you will have better weather as it is their dry season. In koh Samui, koh phangan and koh Tao all of these located in east/gulf of Thailand you will be in rainy season.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phi Phi or Koh Samui for christmas?!

As you will be in Phangan anyway you should spend a few days in Samui then go over to the other coast and spend some time in Phi Phi, with your timeframe you can easily visit all three places.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phi Phi or Koh Samui for christmas?!

We have booked our accommodation for Koh Phangan already from 28th Dec- 1st Jan thankfully! A friend of ours mentioned to book this early!

I see, by the sounds of it Samui seems pretty big so I guess this will be more suitable for Christmas as there will be more to do etc.

Thank you!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phi Phi or Koh Samui for christmas?!

We've heard mixed reviews on Koh Samui but I guess all we can do is go out there and decide for ourselves! You're right with regards to distance etc. it would make more sense to do Koh Samui and Koh Phangan together then Phi Phi after, we have plenty of time and we're in no rush to get it all done!

Thank's guys :)

uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phi Phi or Koh Samui for christmas?!

Koh Samui is an amazing island with lots of different areas to explore. Hire a moped while you're there - you'll be glad you did! Chaweng is busy and the nightlife there is crazy, but good crazy. Lamai is good too.

Phi Phi island is a must do! Plus the weather will be better there.

I'm going to Phi Phi in December and revisiting Koh Samui too. Can't wait.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phi Phi or Koh Samui for christmas?!

Both are bad, go somewhere else. Phi Phi is less bad though.

2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Phi Phi or Koh Samui for christmas?!

Hello .

there is also three of us traveling around the same place as you . Have you booked anywhere in koh samui yet we don't know where to look yet hmmm ....