We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in similian islands

Ko Pha Ngan...
1 post
Save Topic
weather in similian islands

Hi! I'm in thailand now, I would like to go to similian island but i've heard that the weather is no good in this period. Anyone knows the real situation??

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,167 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in similian islands

The real situation is that because it is the monsoon season from May to October, the National Park Authorities close both the Similan and Surin Islands to all visitors and tours from the 15th May to 15th October every year for safety reasons and to allow for maintenance works and the corals to recover.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in similian islands

Thanks for the info

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in similian islands

is the weather good at the beginning of december to go to Ko Tachai Island??

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,167 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in similian islands

Usually it is. It certainly was when went there at that time of year. If the ocean conditions are poor the boats don't go out.,

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in similian islands

Could you offer any more advise please?

Im wanting to go, i've just been reading up on them and me and the girlfriend love beautiful beaches. We are in Phuket at the moment but want to go there next. Do you know about transport up? Or is there a ferry port or day trip companies? Also can you stay on the islands?

Any advise would really help as this is spontaneous

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,167 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in similian islands

You can book day tours from Phuket with the likes of Fantastic Similans. Cheaper to book at a travel shop than on-line. There are no ferries so a day tour or some offer overnight in a tent or simple bungalow but nothing to do at night after having a very basic meal. You get picked up at your hotel early morning in Phuket for 2-3 hour, depending on where you are staying, others being picked up and roadwork delays and taken to the pier at Tab Lamu north of Phuket. The speedboat ride takes about 70 minutes with one snorkel from the boat before you reach the first island, then get off to go up the viewpoint then back on the boat for another snorkel site from the boat then to another island for lunch (included in the price) then back on board to a final snorkel site from the boat then back to Tab Lamu and mini-bus back to Phuket. Lunch, cold drinks on board, mask and flippers included. That's a typical day tour. Overnight you basically are left on the island after the last snorkel where you have dinner, accommodation and breakfast then next day join the boat party for similar to first day and return to the pier.

Hope this helps.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather in similian islands

Really helpful,

Thanks for taking the time out to help. Last question. I'm sure if its raining or cloudy it wont look/be as nice i.e the sea and beaches,, so, do you recommend me leaving this till after the FMP (6th Dec) and do them on the way back down towards Malaysia from Samui, leaving it another week for the weather to pick up a little?

I know its a difficult question to ask as the weather is unpredictable (Im from england i certainly know). I had seen in a previous post you have been getting showers in the afternoons.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,167 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather in similian islands

The Similans are 60km out at sea and often if it is raining or cloudy on the mainland it is perfectly clear and sunny all day at the islands or vice versa. But in the Dry Season (November to April) it is more often great all day at the islands but November or April sea conditions may get rougher as the Seasons change. If you are prepared to take a day out to travel back I would suggest to Khao Lak and the extra expense to do a Similans trip before heading south to Malaysia which will also add more time and expense rather than going from Samui then mid-December should be more settled.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: weather in similian islands

Ok that makes sense.

1 more as your being so helpful.

We have just been into the travel agents and they gave us these options. 1 way bus up to the town above the pier, the main bus station in the town, we would then have to do it all ourselves, i.e find a tour from there for a couple of days.

2) For 2000bht per person they will take us up and do a 1 day trip (3 islands) and leave us on the main island where we can try and find accommodation for a night or 2. This sounds more appealing to us but the woman said that all boats on the island are with tours and we will either struggle to get back off the island as non trips or be charged around 2000bht per person. Is this correct or do you think we could do the 2000bht, find some cheap accommodation and get off the island for a reasonable cost?

Again any halp would be fantastic, you seem to know your stuff :)

blackpool
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: weather in similian islands

Hi just read your post re staying on the Surin isles in a tent, can I ask would you say it's worth the visit besides the uncomfortable tent, ie is the snorkelling good, we too planned a 2 night stay but just checking if it will be worth the hassle of getting there. Thanks in advance

Get answers to your questions about Similan Islands