We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus or train from Hua Hin to Koh Tao

Victoria
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bus or train from Hua Hin to Koh Tao

Does anyone know if it's better to take the bus or the train to get to Koh Tao?

UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus or train from Hua Hin to Koh Tao

sargirl

You need to use the Lomprayah service which you can book in Hua Hin.

www.lomprayah.com

Their A/C coach leaves Hua Hin at 0830 or 2345 hrs connecting with their own high speed catamaran and arrives koh tao at 1445 or 0845hrs.

The cost is very reasonable and excellent service.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus or train from Hua Hin to Koh Tao

I agree, although we did not use it we noted this route with that service for future plans to go down the coast to the Chumphon area.

You 'can' take the train to Chumphon but I agree with the previous poster the twice a day direct bus and catamaran service looks cheap.

Victoria
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus or train from Hua Hin to Koh Tao

Thanks for that info. We might also see how much a taxi van would be from Hua Hin as there are 4 of us it might cost almost the same and be a little quicker.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus or train from Hua Hin to Koh Tao

A taxi from Bangkok Airport to Hua Hin was 2,500 Baht, I think the journey time from Hua Hin to Chumpon is about the same, so perhaps it would be about 2,500 or less. I think you might ask the question on the Hua Hin forum. We plan on visiting Bang Saphan which is a very nice beach area between Hua Hin and Chumphon the next chance we have for a holiday.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus or train from Hua Hin to Koh Tao

hi was wondering if you did take a taxi - we are planning chumpon to hua hin and I wondered how much a taxi would be ..there will be six of us? and how we could arrange this..?

Victoria
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus or train from Hua Hin to Koh Tao

We are going there on Febraury 12th and we've been quoted 8000 baht for 4 of us in a van - return. It's a little more than by bus or train but we decided it might be worth it. We arranged it through Pana's Bar near the Springfield Beach Resort in Cha'am.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus or train from Hua Hin to Koh Tao

Hua Hin to Chumphon pier is something like 275km so it is about 100 km further than Bangkok. I would guess it would be about 2,500 each way for car or van.

Now if you are going 'from' Chumphon to Hua Hin ( or orginating Koh Tao ) any travel place would arrange a van for you. Although I have never used the services of mr Roong Hua Hin so cannot comment on service, many other have used his services and see happy. Perhaps in this instance you might want to browse for the details and see if he could arrange Chumphon 'to' Hua Hin.

Otherwise your accommodation of Koh tao or in Chumphon will sort something, though you would not know qaulity of vehicle etc.

The journey straight through takes about 3 hours.

If you wanted to make a 'day trip' out of it you could call in at Baan Krut or Bang Saphan ( perhaps the Coral Resort ) for lunch on the way.

A drive through the delightful coastal town of Prachuap Khiri Khan ( about 100 km south of Hua Hin ) is very pleasant to see the lovely view of the bay, if active hike up to the hilltop temple for super views.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus or train from Hua Hin to Koh Tao

That does not read well - Chumphon in 'distance' is 100 km more than the distance to Bangkok though of course Chumphon is southerly direction.

Sara - you may want to pass through Prachuap Khiri Khan on the way as it is quite lovely to see. Otherwise it's about 1 hr 30 by road from Hua Hin and well worth the trip.

A few photos off Flikr ( not mine )www.flickr.com/photos/onbangladesh/3019425984/

www.flickr.com/photos/26034413@N04/2536796635/

www.flickr.com/photos/lafons/2190868244/

www.flickr.com/photos/lafons/2190874254/

www.flickr.com/photos/halfasecond/390848366/

The town has never been hyped for tourism at all, it's just there ! Like so many lovely places down that coastline.

Victoria
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus or train from Hua Hin to Koh Tao

Great idea! We'll arrange for an earlier ride to Chumpon and leave time to stop for some sight seeing on the way there. I really appreciate the photos - looks beautiful.

10. Re: Bus or train from Hua Hin to Koh Tao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 23:20
Get answers to your questions about Koh Tao