We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket to Koh Tao

Which Koh Tao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yandina, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Phuket to Koh Tao

Hi all,

We're planning our 2nd trip to Koh Tao next year (2012) and will be flying to Phuket then overland/sea to Koh Tao, so we can avoid the 9-11hr bus trip from Bangkok to Chumphon.

Any advice/recommended bus companies for the Phuket to DonSak drive?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket to Koh Tao

Why not fly to Samui and have many hours travelling time?

Yandina, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket to Koh Tao

It is a strong possibility; especially as we are not actually staying in Phuket, it's just where the travel agent suggested flying to...

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,370 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket to Koh Tao

Agree that flying to Samui from Phuket would be your best bet. Lomprayah Ferry company do also run bus service and connecting ferry service from Phuket.

http://www.lomprayah.com/surat/surat.html

You will need to contact them as they only seem to show the reverse journey.

but it is a slow journey and will take you all day, plus you won't be able to get to Koh Tao the same day I believe as you will miss the last ferry, so you would have to stop in Koh Phangan for a night and go onwards with Lomprayah the next day.

Yandina, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket to Koh Tao

Are flights available from Bangkok to Koh Samui? I would assume yes, but overseas travel has taught me to NEVER assume!

Our last trip (Apr this year) landed us in Bangkok in the middle of Songkran... I had my days wrong and thought I had scheduled to arrive the day AFTER; and of course the Lomprayah transfer office is on Rambuttri Rd... got a culture shock like no other(!)

Thanks for the prompt feedback :)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket to Koh Tao

There are flights to Samui from Bangkok, Phuket and Krabi. All direct (non stop).

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,370 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket to Koh Tao

As bbtony says there are direct flights with Bangkok Airlines, you can also fly from Bangkok to Surat Thani with Air Asia and then get a connecting ferry to Koh Tao, it would work out cheaper than flying direct to Samui is money is an issue.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket to Koh Tao

Hi

Agree with bbtony and Cassnu, flying to Koh Samui or Surat Thani and then a ferry is a much better idea than flying to Phuket. You could even look at the train which is a lot more comfortable than the bus.

There's a good deal of travel information, including flying to Koh Samui, in the FAQs at the top right of the page.

Koh Tao, Thailand
Level Contributor
415 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket to Koh Tao

There are also flights from BKK Don Muang airport to Chumpon which connect to the Lomprayah to Koh Tao.

Check out the Lomprayah website....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
376 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phuket to Koh Tao

Am I correct in that the flights to Chumpon are small, propeller planes - not standard commercial aircraft?

Also is it right that you cannot get a flight to Surat Thani in the morning in time for the day-time ferry to Ko Tao?

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phuket to Koh Tao

Hi

Yes the planes to Chumhon are the small propeller type, plus i read recently, these flights are being cancelled quite regularly.

The timing is very tight as the bus leaves the airport around 8.30am, however, the ferry leaves the pier at 10.10am which is approx 1.5 hours from the airport.

Easiest and quickest ption is flying to Koh Samui in the morning to catch a ferry by lunchtime. After that the other options are a personal choice but if cost is an issue then a compromise is needed.

We, for example catch the sleeper train and ferry from Bangkok to Koh Tao and then fly from Koh Samui to get back.

as a side note if you fly to Phuket I very much doubt you'd get to Koh Tao that same day, so whatever you decide I would strongly suggest you don't fly to Phuket first.

Edited: 03 November 2011, 13:00