We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mae Haad vs. Sairee

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Mae Haad vs. Sairee

Hi guys,

Planning a trip to koh tao early next year. I'm travelling with around 4 girls (aged 21, however we are not massive party animals).

While i know we can't have it all, what we would love is a beautiful white sandy beach at our front door, within walking distance to some restaurants/shops.

Firstly, I've heard Mae Haad is quieter but more beautiful beaches, while Sairee has a more party atmosphere, is this right, and what would you recommend between the two?

Secondly can anyone recommend some good beachfront accom (budget of $50 pp p/n, cheaper if possible:))

Overall we just want to relax on a beautiful beach (not too busy) and eat lots of yummy cheap thai food :)

Koh Tao, Thailand
Level Contributor
415 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mae Haad vs. Sairee

Mae Haad is quieter but you can easily walk to Sairee from Mae Haad for a night out.

For your budget - is that Aus$ ?

Koh Tao, Thailand
Level Contributor
184 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mae Haad vs. Sairee

You can get really nice cheap bungalows close to the beach at Prik Thai Resort (between 700 - 1000THB per night). Early next year, the island should not be too busy, so Sairee Beach would be a good option.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mae Haad vs. Sairee

Oh I had no idea you could walk from one to another, that's awesome. And yeh Aussie dollar, so like max 3000 for a room. I know there's heaps of budget accommodation, but one of the girls has never been overseas, so nothing too 'budget' if you know what I mean.. Thanks heaps for your responses!! :)

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mae Haad vs. Sairee

As everyone will tell you, turn up, have a wander around and book somewhere in person. You will never find the place you want online aas most are family run bungalow businesses which don't have websites etc. Farther south of sairee is a lovely beach, most of the southern beaches te nnice and eastern beaches for snorkeling. sairee beach is lovely though, I run it every morning.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mae Haad vs. Sairee

I would honestly love nothing more than just showing up and booking somewhere that looks nice, but do you think it will be difficult to do this in April? Also, do you think AC is a must in April, I know it can get ridiculously hot in Thailand around this time. ps BrittishJimmy sounds like your living the life!!

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mae Haad vs. Sairee

tehe yeh, life is good... Basically if you have a position with a good breeze (beach bungalows etc..) you won't need an AC (it would be nice, but definately not needed). I have an appartment to the East of Sairee, there isn't any breeze here, so because I work at home (and after I return from my beech run and am all sweaty) I whack the Air Con on for maybe 1 hour, just to cool myself down, and then the rooms fan works just fine at 'keeping me cool'.

You will have no problem finding some rooms. Everywhere will have bungalows free even during peak season. because only x amount of people can come to the island at once (restricted by amount of ferry's space etc...) there is usually a lower dmeand for accomodation than there is supply... you will have no problem, and if you just take a walk from Mae Haad to Sairee, you will see many signs offering bungalows for rent. OR preferably, hire a taxi for all 4 of you, and work your way up from the south of the island (theres only 1 main road) and check out all the resorts on the way/prices... Give the taxi driver a nice tip and he'll gladyl do this for you. Beware though, the resorts on teh way from Mae Haad to Sairee, along that stretch are all along the beach, you won't see them from the main road, so it might be easier to check out the south west of the island by taxi, then dump your bags and walk from Mae Haad to Sairee to see all the smaller resort prices etc....

Good Luck :)

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mae Haad vs. Sairee

april won't be too busy. are you there to dive because you can get accommodations with your dive shop. We dId BOYH.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
155 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mae Haad vs. Sairee

Hi,

We are having quite the same problem on finding some accomodation.

Do you think it is possible to find a place to stay for 5 in august, when just showing up there?

Or is it recommended to book in advance for this period?

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mae Haad vs. Sairee

Hi

Not go August and not for 5. It's peak season and will be very busy. Prik Tai maybe a good option for you.

melbourne
Level Contributor
19 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mae Haad vs. Sairee

I'm also from Melbourne and just left from a 2 month stay in Mae had.

Personally if you don't want a hot sticky nights sleep and want to wake up rested I would pay for air con. Our house was slightly up the hill with a beautiful night breeze but after a long day on the beach or out and about having the air con not too low at night really did make a difference to our sleep quality and how rested we felt the next day.

Melbourne gets hot in summer so if you have air con at home then get it in thailand. On hot Melbourne days if you don't have air con but wished you did then get it in Thailand. Only you and your friends can answer how well you go in the heat for days on end with not much of a break.

We didn't use in the day as the ceiling had fans but some nights the weather really didn't seem to cool down that much overnight.

If you are 21 my suggestion would be sairee and not Mae had. We walked along sairee beach many times at night and it was not crazy buzy all the time. Sometimes actually very peaceful. The days before and after the full moon party seem to get a little busier.

Crowd seems a bit older in Mae had than sairee. We are 38 and felt a little old for sairee sometimes.

We did like having dinner in sairee village which is busy but off the beach a little.