We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dive and snorkling in Koh Tao

Santarem, Portugal
Level Contributor
67 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Dive and snorkling in Koh Tao

I'll be in Koh Tao on days 4,5,6 Jamaihkiri resort in January and wanted to make fun of diving, I have seen on some websites looking for prices but I can not decide, can you tell me some and what are normal prices? In Jamaihkiri are 3.500B for 2 dives more than 1,600 fuel rate divided by a maximum of 4 people. Where can I find prices of 1000B or even 800 as they say here? For these price conditions are good?

Leaving Jamaihkiri near there some good place to snorkling? What are the best places to snorling and how do I get there out of my resort? They say Aow Leuk is very good, how do I go there?

thank you

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dive and snorkling in Koh Tao

Hi

When it comes to diving you should catch a taxi or walk to Chalok Baan Kao and discuss what you want with some dive shops there. Snorkelling is good in the Shark's Bay area (where you're staying) and all along the east coast. Again hiring a taxi for trips to individual bays, like Aow Leuk, or a longtail boat for the day to take you around the island. You can also join snorkel tours that run daily for 350 baht which is a good day trip.

January is still monsoon season, although it's normally pretty good weather. So waiting until you arrive and checking diving conditions are suitable is often wise.

Koh Tao, Thailand
Level Contributor
415 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dive and snorkling in Koh Tao

Most dive operators on the island charge around 1000B per dive and it gets cheaper the more that you do.

Are you already certified?

On the whole Jan is fine conditions wise.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dive and snorkling in Koh Tao

Beginning in January you might check the weather 2 - 3 days before out for diving, not so sure about the weather for first month of January.

Good luck! (:

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dive and snorkling in Koh Tao

I am planning a trip to Koh Tao end Oct-beginning Nov. I might want to dive but I am totally inexperienced. Are there any recommendation in diving coach that is good with experience and in an affordable price? Also, is the diving going to be good during this time of the year?

Thanks so much!

Koh Tao, Thailand
Level Contributor
186 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dive and snorkling in Koh Tao

November is usually monsoon time on Koh Tao, sometimes it lasts weeks, sometimes days.....we never know. If the weather does get bad, the visibility underwater is not good, and the waves get very large. If you do decide to still come, check out the reviews of dive shops in the 'Tours' and 'Attractions' pages of the 'Things to do' section. With so much choice available, you need to do some research into the different dive centers on offer. The price should be around 9800THB including accommodation during your dive course. Hope this helps.

6. Re: Dive and snorkling in Koh Tao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 14:17