We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Koh Tao right for us?

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Is Koh Tao right for us?

Hi All,

We will be in Koh Samui in September 2013, and thinking of staying on Koh Tao for a couple of nights. Have just been to Gili Trawangan (off Lombok, Indonesia) and just loved it. Does Koh Tao compare with Gili T? We are looking for a nice place to stay on the beach (up to $100 P/N) and want to have access to some local restaurants & shops and a lovely beach to relax on. We have stayed on Chaweng beach and loved it, but thinking of breaking up our stay with a new place. It is just my husband & I.

Would love any ideas and recommendations,

Cheers,

Sandy

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Koh Tao right for us?

Hello

In September it's rainy season in Gulf of Thailand. If you don't mind about the rain. So just go hehe ,I don't know how is like in Gili T, but surely Koh Tao is lovely beautiful island! :P

If you're looking for relax and quiet beach , maybe go to Koh Lanta in Krabi? there is really nice too.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Koh Tao right for us?

Hi

I can't compare as I've not visited, however, September is not rainy season in Koh Tao. Monsoon season runs October to January. Ko Lanta is in it's rainy season in September.

The best beaches are on the east coast, but they're also quite isolated. I'd suggest looking at Charm Churee, it's a great location but has easy access to Mae Head where you'll have a great choice for bars, shops and restaurants.

I'd suggest a snorkel day trip when in Koh Tao, this means you'd be able see the beautiful island at it's best and include Koh Nang Yuan.

Edited: 16 October 2012, 13:41
Koh Tao, Thailand
Level Contributor
415 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Koh Tao right for us?

I would check out Sensi Paradise Resort and Sept is NOT rainy season.

Im sure you will love it here too !

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Koh Tao right for us?

Hi sandy

I was going to sugesst charm churi reosrt too. And i am agree with both lushlynd and master diver that September is not rainy season in the east coast ( you probably already know that ).

Cheers,

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Koh Tao right for us?

Yes as both #2 and #3 have said September is fine and is very popular

Sandy - I have seen your posts over so many years :)

I think you will find is superb

Have never been to Gili, but I feel sure you would find Koh Tao absolutely gorgoeus, and yes as Masterdivers suggests Sensi Paradise, dreamy, and a couple of nights there you will simply love.

I am so often suggesting if people have more than say 8 days on Samui to add in a few nights on Koh Tao.

MasterDivers / lushlynds - How do you rate Sensi v Charm Chruee nowadys, particular for surounding area ?

The snorkeling is easy and the fish can be right around you in the water, my son and his friends were down there are few weeks back and had a superb time, though some years since I myself managed it, but certainly making plansto go again soon ( well probably Feb / mar )

This gives you a good idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JPRLQIvqDY

This is Nang Yuan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvoQvcgi13w

Edited: 17 October 2012, 06:11
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Koh Tao right for us?

Sorry include Sweetpea there :) - we were posting at the same time

type : Charm Churee

Edited: 17 October 2012, 06:13
Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Koh Tao right for us?

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on Koh Tao - think I am in love already!!!!

Monica - the you tube video is sensational.

It looks like we will definitely have to stay around 3 nights on Ko Tao - a couple we met on the Gilis said it was even better than Gili T.

I will start searching for the right place to stay.

Just Allie - thank you for your pm - I know we seem to like the same places, so it will be great to break up Koh Samui with a side trip to Ko Tao.

Cheers,

Sandy

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Koh Tao right for us?

Hi All,

Am going around in circles with accommodation ideas. We would love a nice room with a/c, preferably close to the pool, right on the beach if possible, but walking distance to shops/restaurants etc. So far, Sensi Paradise seems to be a good option. We don't want to stay somewhere on a hilltop.

Any suggestions?

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Koh Tao right for us?

Sensi will probably be your best bet outside of Sairee beach, which is the main/busiest beach resort.

Tao is a very hilly place and poolside boutique resorts on the beach are not the "thing" there either. Although the few that are there are beautiful.

Sairee Hut Resort has a small but nice beachside pool and some nice rooms too. A very easy walk into Sairee village with a good range of restaurants, shops and bars.

London
Level Contributor
374 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Koh Tao right for us?

Has anyone here been to both Gili T and Koh Tao? I'd be interested in a comparison, as we are considering a bit of time on Koh Tao, but we found Gili T really over-developed and didn't much like it! I'd been hoping/anticipating that Koh Tao was quieter. Am I wrong? We have stayed in quieter parts of Koh Samui before (quite liked) and quieter parts of Koh Phangan (really liked).

Thanks for any thoughts :)