We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a dive center

Bludenz, Austria
Level Contributor
20 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a dive center

Hi,

We will stay in Haad Tien beach resort, but I think they have no dive center. Does someone know a good dive center near Haad tien (south koh tao).

I cannot imagine if there were long distances between the different sites.

Thanks for infos.

Resum

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a dive center

Hi Resum

Welcome to the forum.

You are correct stating Haad Tien has no dive centre. From Thian Og your best options are going into Chalok Baan Kao, which is pretty close by and can be walked to. Your other choices are going to the main areas on Tao for the dive shops which are Sairee and Mae Head.

The island is very small and we walk everywhere, however, not everyone enjoys this it can get quite hilly. Taxis can be expensive when comparing to other areas of Thailand.

The best way to pick a dive place is in person. If you browse through the "Things To Do" section, both activities and attractions give reviews of shops around the island. Sort through the ones you like the sound of and then visit once on the island.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g303910-Activi…

Bludenz, Austria
Level Contributor
20 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a dive center

Thank you for the useful link. Would you suggest to rent a motorbike. Are the streets good, or is it better to take a taxi (how much is it to go to sairee from haad tien?). Is it expensive to rent a motorbike for 10days?

Koh Tao, Thailand
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a dive center

Hi Resum,

At Haadtien Beach Resort there is the Dive Center, Located on the beach they are provide small group for diving as private, just contact to the hotel or contact at the Dive Center directly. :-)))

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a dive center

Hi

I really wouldn't advise renting a bike. The roads are not good and there's a lot of issues with overcharging for damaged bikes when returning.

As I said my husband and I walk around the island we don't catch taxis. I would guess a taxi would be around 400 baht from Haad Tien to Sairee.

Bludenz, Austria
Level Contributor
20 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a dive center

Hi sun n,

thanks for info. Whats the name of the diving center? Do you know if they have nitrox?

Hi lushlynds2506,

yes I've read about the overcharging in case of damage. But how long does it take to walk from Haad tien to sairee or mae haad beach.

I hope not to anoy you.

Best regards

resum

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a dive center

Hi Resum

No annoyance on my behalf. When I was on the island in May it took my husband and I around 50 minutes to walk from Haad Tien back to Sairee. It was a blistering hot day though and to Mae Head would have been 15 minutes less.

Haad Tien at this point didn't seem to have a dive shop, however, since Sun N posted I've looked it up and it seems that a company from Koh Samui have opened at Haad Tien called Dive wishes & more 2. The following is a link to their site. Just to add though they seem very expensive compaed to others around Tao. Perhaps if you contact them directly they'd be able to help.

dive-wishes.com/koh-tao/…

I hope this helps

Edited: 09 December 2012, 20:48
Koh Tao, Thailand
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a dive center

Hi Resum,

The Name of the Divecenter is Dive WIshes, and yes, they are more expensive then others, but i think its too easy just to say the are expensive, cause they offering completely different service then others, as i know its the only one dive shop which is operating only with small Boats and Speedboats, not more then 5 People on the Boat , private trips and things like that.

I think if somebody want something special and not going out wiyh 40 People on the Boat, then its also Ok paying a bit more.

Greetings

Bludenz, Austria
Level Contributor
20 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a dive center

Hi,

Thanks a lot. The prices of Dive Wishes is significantly higher than the other ones, indeed. For me its ok to pay more for more (if I want or need more), but not much more for a little bit more. So its right, first I have to check if you can compare the offerings, and then I will decide.

BR

Resum

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a dive center

I think the prices of Dive Wishes are too higher then others, very expensive.

In Chalok Baan Kao there are several dive center very reliable, as says Sun n big boat with 25/30 people but small dive group, max 5 people normally.

Hi all

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a dive center

Just to add my opinion... I think they use small boat because they don't have enough customers for a big boat.

Get answers to your questions about Koh Tao