We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with Lomprayah

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
301 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with Lomprayah

We were planning to spend a few nights on Koh Tao from Koh Samui. We have two older boys and our little one will be 4 when we travel. Having read the reviews on TA, I am beginning to wonder whether it is worth going through what might be a horrendous trip! I really wanted to snorkel and the boys were keen to dive. What to do? Can anyone give me some feedback? Thanks a stack, I really appreciate your help.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,213 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with Lomprayah

Hi,

Provided the sea isn't rough the trip will be fine. The Lomprayah company operates catamarans between the islands (and the mainland).

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,146 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with Lomprayah

We've done this journey in both rough and smooth conditions, I wouldn't do it again if it were rough, but would definitely go again in smooth conditions.

Koh Tao, Thailand
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with Lomprayah

Im currently on koh tao and the sea has been quite flat these last few days so i really cant see it being a problem. The day before last the ocean literally looked like glass!

Hope this helps and hope you come over to koh tao!

The lomprayah also offer a V.I.P section which is just basically an aircon cabinwith more comfier seats and they only charge i think 100 baht each to get in.

Hope this helps!!!!

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with Lomprayah

Hi there. As the other guys said Lomprayah operate a good service between Samui and Koh Tao. The journey takes about 1hr 30mins aboard the large catamaran ferry. If you go upstairs you can go in the VIP section for 100baht with aircon and larger, more comfortable seats. Sairee is the busier nightlife area with lots of young backpackers and Chalok is more laid back but still with some nice restaurants and beach bars. The water around Koh Tao is ace for snorkeling. If you need anymore info regarding diving, accommodation etc just let me know You check out www.koh-tao-activities for diving and other activities. I recommend booking your accomodation in advance as it's a little busy at the moment. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shane

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Sairee Beach
Sairee Beach
516 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with Lomprayah

Lomprayah - excellent service and recovery - leaving Koh Tao on feb 20 with several tight connections to get to Bankok - early hi speed catamaran broke as we were about to leave, we were quickly transferred to opposition ferry to Koh Phangnan, where a company rep met us and transferred us to a Lomprayah Hi speed ferry - and when we got to Surat thani had the bus ready to go to get us to the airport and also arranged that Nok Air hold their flight for 30 minutes to ensure we got the Bangkok on time. Excellent recovery !!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
513 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with Lomprayah

Hi Kirsty, when are you planning on going? We spent 5 days in April two years ago, the sea was calm so the journey on the Lomprahay was smooth and comfortable. We really enjoyed Koh Tao more than Samui, as it wasn't as commercialized, food was cheaper and the snorkeling was really good. We hired a longtail boat one day to take us around the island, which was really a wonderful outing. Got to snorkel in bays that weren't otherwise accessible.

We stayed at Sensi Paradise which was in an excellent position, close enough to walk to Sairee beach at night for a meal but away from the hustle.

Hope ths helps.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Sensi Paradise
Sensi Paradise
1,346 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
Sairee Beach
Sairee Beach
516 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with Lomprayah

Travelled with this company a few times. Had both good and bad experiences. First trip with them from chumpon to koh tao was horendous,

Catamaran went out even though there was rough sea, fishing boats had been called in due to bad conditions and warnings given of high waves (which none of the passengers were informed of on boarding) the journey was very unsafe, many people being sick and scared. I was travelling with young daughter and was extremely scared about the conditions. The waves were coming over the top of the boat, was like being in a washing machine. Everyone was told to get insidecand sit down and hold on tight. Return trip was ffine, with calm sea and a nice breeze, could sit outside. Other downside is constantly overbooked boays, so changing departing times at last minute. Ok if you are not on a schedule, but can be a problem if you need to be somewhere at a certain time

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,146 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with Lomprayah

The changing departure times tends to happen to all of the ferry companies, it's not just specific to Lomprayah. I have done the Koh Phangan to Chumphon leg in rough seas and had to stand outside due to feeling sick, it was unpleasant and I wouldn't want to do it again, reverse journey was very calm though.

Mentioned in this post
Chumphon
Chumphon
Chumphon Province, Thailand
Andover, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling with Lomprayah

We visted koh tao last Feb and our return journey to phagnan was awful. The sea was rough and a lot of passengers were sick, it was horrible. Thankfully we weren't going all the way back to samui, only phagnan.

We stayed at haad yao beach here and used reefers dive centre, who I'd highly recommend.

If you're lucky enough to have calm seas then make the trip to tao, but avoid rough seas if you're not sea hardened.

MelbourneAustralia
Level Contributor
343 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling with Lomprayah

We have done crossings a number of times to both Koh Tao and Koh Phangan in June over the last few years. Had both smooth and rough journeys, like most places around the world weather wise, winds and oceans tend to be calmer earlier in the day, my advice would be to take as earlier crossing as possible never any guarantees thiugh. Oh yes one other thing on Lomprayah services departing Samui and Koh Tao, some of the luggage ends up outside for the stop at Koh Phangan, make sure your luggage ends up inside, especially if a bit rougher, even though they cover with a tarp.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao