We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surat Thani to Koh Tao

Calgary, Alberta...
3 posts
Save Topic
Surat Thani to Koh Tao

Hey everyone, me and a friend are planning to land in Surat Thani on May 21, 2013 at 8:20pm and are hoping to catch the night boat (kohtao.sawadee.com/kohtao_transfer.html) from Surat Thani to Koh Tao.

My question is two part:

1) Is there enough time to purchase the ticket for the ferry and catch it in time if the boat leaves at 11pm? I was told by a girl (whom spoke broken english) that i would need to take a taxi to the Pier and just purchase a ticket then. NOTE: Full moon party is on May 25.

2) Should i be worried that the full moon party is on May 25? I'm getting nervous as to whether or not there will be any room left on the ferry once we arrive at the Pier without tickets.

I plan on booking the ferry from Koh Tao to Koh Phanang ahead of time in the next few days because i know this one will be sold out a few days advance.

Thanks for all the help!!

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surat Thani to Koh Tao

Hi

Welcome to the Koh Tao forum.

You can't book the ferry tickets prior to arrival at the pier so you should be ok. As yes the ferry does get full but you are getting there with a reasonable amount of time to spare. There's recent thread from someone who traveled on the night ferry and how they found it that you might find interesting.

There are other options of getting to Koh Tao that you could consider, especially if this method is causing you concern.

Edited: 26 March 2013, 09:36
Calgary, Alberta...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Surat Thani to Koh Tao

Hey! thanks for the reply

If i was not travelling to close to the month's full moon party i wouldn't be as worried.

what other options were you referring to?

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surat Thani to Koh Tao

Hi

On the right hand side of the page there's a few FAQ's, including how to get to and from Koh Tao.

Here's the link if you're not using a computer

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g303910-c175571/Koh-T…

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,764 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surat Thani to Koh Tao

Here's the link to the other threat lushlynds is talking about.

tripadvisor.com.au/…48241429

You may be a little squeezed for time especially if your flight were delayed for any reason, so have a Plan B up your sleeve with some accommodation in Surat Thani planned in case you have to stay overnight, these places are cheapish:

My Place Surat Thani

Tapee Hotel

You could then get the first boat from ST to KP the next morning if you don't make the night boat.

Presumably you already have accommodation booked on KP?

Edited: 27 March 2013, 00:05
Calgary, Alberta...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Surat Thani to Koh Tao

no i haven't booked anything except for my flight into surat thani.

i know that i can't grab the boat tickets ahead of time but i plan on looking into the accommodations and ferrie between the KT and KP asap!!!

No back up plan in place if we miss the overnight boat. hahah

6. Re: Surat Thani to Koh Tao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Koh Tao