We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alert! DONOT rent a bike from the shop next to gas station

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Topic
Alert! DONOT rent a bike from the shop next to gas station

My friends and I rented a bike from the shop next to the gasoline station opposite to the 4P supermarket in Sairee village. The shop was owned by a couple, a short plump girl who can speak some English, and a tall man, thin, with darker skin and tattoo. The shop opened early and they seemed nice. We just want to rent a small plain motorbike. The rent is 150 baht/24 hours, and they need one passport and 8000 baht deposit. Since we had heard of so many stories that travelers got blackmailed or overcharged a lot of money for the scratches the shop owner made up. As the precaution, we just took the pictures of different parts of the motorbike in the face of the boss as we rented it. From the pictures, I believe everyone can tell, it was definitely not a new one for sure. Since neither of us had much experience in riding a motorbike and the traffic conditions were not that good in Koh Tao, we just rode it very cautiously, limiting the speed of less than 20kms/h, which was quite slow. After I left Koh Tao, my friend stayed there for two more days. And he told me the shop owner was really nice to him that they even change the return time for his convenience. But on the day he left, when he went to the shop to return the bike. The shop owners just changed their faces. They insist my friend scratched the bike and asked him to pay a large sum of money. All the pics we took was in my cell phone, and I was at that time on a day trip out somewhere in the sea and my cell totally out of service. While they knew my friend had no pictures as proof and he was in the hurry to catch the last ferry leaving koh tao, they just threatened my friend and acted like bullies. My friend had to no choice but to pay what they asked for their so-called damages. THAT IS 9800 THB!!!!! WTF!!!!

So whenever or wherever you want to rent a bike, be careful. Do check thoroughly and carefully. Take as many picture as you can before you actually ride it. Search the help from the police if necessary. And of course, Never rent a bike from this shop~~~

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alert! DONOT rent a bike from the shop next to gas station

I think the best advice is to forget about renting a bike in Koh Tao or can someone please post a positive experience with one of the rental shops because I can't remember ever having read one.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alert! DONOT rent a bike from the shop next to gas station

It is true that motorbike rentals on Koh Tao are very "hit & miss" when it comes to finding an honest and reputable rental shop... There are some that are better than others, so it is a very good idea to ask around, especially ask the local Farang, who can at least steer you away from the more evil places, and of course, check out and listen to TripAdvisor. I have lived on Koh Tao for ten years, and own a resort (Monkey Flower Villas). We offer all our guests complimentary motorbikes, as well as free driver service, to avoid this kind of thing happening to our very valued customers. It is important to note that this kind of "soft" crime happens a lot in Thailand. Be smart, and trust your feelings, do not do business with anyone you think might mess you around. If it happens to you, write a review for the wold to see, and take it as a life lesson. Thailand has this sort of soft crime, but far less of the violent type that is much more prevalent in many other places in the world.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alert! DONOT rent a bike from the shop next to gas station

Same happened to us with these corrupt bottom feeders. 10,000 for damages we never did. Tell all people you meet on your travels to koh Tao. Been reading "sun smile travell" is the same way. Crooks. Make people aware and put them out.

Koh Tao, Thailand
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alert! DONOT rent a bike from the shop next to gas station

hi

i live on koh tao , and we have a shop in the center of mae haad and everyday we see people being ripped off when they return there bikes, there are lots of instructors and divemasters who have extra bikes , which they rent out to make a little extr money, they usually charge 200 bht a day, and they dont ask for your passport, sometimes a small deposit is required , age dependant , usually 1000 - 2000 bht , if you have an accident they will take you to any garage you like and you just pay the repair cost, no extras ,

any info you may require, just msg me

San Diego...
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alert! DONOT rent a bike from the shop next to gas station

There are many very bad bike rental places on Koh Tao, and a few really good ones. Ask around, check Tripadvisor, do a little homework, and you will have a MUCH better experience!

London, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alert! DONOT rent a bike from the shop next to gas station

BE WARNED! Scammed rental company will hold you at ransom for damages not caused by you!

This shop is directly by 4P Super Mall in Sairee beach. Same side as 7eleven!!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alert! DONOT rent a bike from the shop next to gas station

Rent a dirt bike or ATV from the gas station a few doors down from The Simple Life Resort.

It was awesome fun, no hassles, no imaginary "damage" charges and a reasonable price. No deposit required but be prepared to leave your passport as collateral.

The kid who rented to us did a thorough check of ATV before we took it and checked off all existing scratches and damage before we left. dropped it off the next day- no prob.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,051 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alert! DONOT rent a bike from the shop next to gas station

LIttle1linda, you said there was nothing to do on Koh Tao apart from diving in your other post!

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g303910-i9415-k…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alert! DONOT rent a bike from the shop next to gas station

Let me stand corrected. you can rent an ATV for a day and see the entire island. After that, sunbathe at the beach and swim at your own risk. I'm here now Cassnu, other than diving- do you have any ideas?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,051 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alert! DONOT rent a bike from the shop next to gas station

Contact GTA Adventures:

www.gtadventures.com/

If you want lots of tours the west coast of Thailand is the place to head, maybe head to Koh Phangan or Samui as well.

Get answers to your questions about Koh Tao