We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which boat/ferry from surat thani to koh tao?

the Netherlands
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
which boat/ferry from surat thani to koh tao?

Hi everyone, we are trying to buy traintickets from bangkok to surat thani online in combination with a shuttle bus to the pier and the lomprayah connection to koh tao. the agency we emailed tells us they work with songserm. is that a good idea or should we stick to our lomprayah plan? thanks for your answers!

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
53 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: which boat/ferry from surat thani to koh tao?

Hi

Can I ask why you're travelling the extra, nearly 3 hours, to Surat Thani instead of the normal departure point for Koh Tao which is Chumphon?

Songserm are fine as far as I'm aware, just a slower option than Lomprayah. Again, travelling from Surat Thani will mean going via Koh Samui and then Koh Phangan before arriving and adding even more time to your journey.

the Netherlands
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: which boat/ferry from surat thani to koh tao?

hi lushlynds, thanks for your answer! we were thinking of getting a good nights sleep instead of getting up quite early,hanging round the station for a few hours and then getting on the ferry.

the Netherlands
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: which boat/ferry from surat thani to koh tao?

and maybe the boattrip could be nice? or is that an illusion in august?

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
53 reviews
17 helpful votes
4. Re: which boat/ferry from surat thani to koh tao?

Hi

Firstly you're very rarely hanging around for hours due to the trains being late. Include the bus transfer to the pier and it's quite reasonable.

As for the boat trip, I'm not good on the sea, so adding an extra 2-3 hours on the ferry, possibly getting on and off to change is something I'd personally avoid at all costs.

As for using Lomprayah from Surat Thani, I've read in past peak seasons (summer) that with the trains being so late it's been quite nerve racking getting to the pier on time. When it's train travel I would always schedule 3 hours between connections.

Near Haarlem
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: which boat/ferry from surat thani to koh tao?

Thanks lushlynds. I'll reconsider our trip

Sydney, Australia
8 posts
6. Re: which boat/ferry from surat thani to koh tao?

If you want to sleep and travel I would either:

a) Fly from BKK to Suratthani with AirAsia (very cheap if you book in advance), taxi to Suratthani town, then take a nightboat to Koh Tao arriving at about 6am

b) Take the night train from BKK to Chumphon, transfer coach to the pier then morning Lomprayah catamaran to Tao arriving at about 9am

Train from BKK to Surat then coach to the Donsak pier then catamaran via Samui, Koh Phangan and finally Tao is possibly the longest route you could do but if you like travelling rather than sitting on a beach...

Near Haarlem
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
7 helpful votes
7. Re: which boat/ferry from surat thani to koh tao?

thanks Zazzi80!

8. Re: which boat/ferry from surat thani to koh tao?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 05:17