We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Tao Dress Code

New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Tao Dress Code

Hey everyone!

I am heading to my honeymoon on Sunday to Thailand. First stops Chang Mai, Chang Rai and Bangkok. Now Ive read a slew of forums on dress codes for the temples, and day to day. I have that covered...physically and figuratively! However, I have to admit that I do dress a little on the revealing side. Short shorts/skirts, sleeveless tops. (not necessarily cleavage) but always bare shoulders...however always tasteful. Im having such an issue packing for this trip. Im hoping that Koh Tao is a but more "island ish" and a bit more lax. Any tips? I don't want to offend anyone, but I dont want to have to go out and buy things I dont need/want. I greatly appreciate any info!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,964 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Tao Dress Code

You only need to be covered for the Grand Palace and any Wats (Temples). Shorts and sleeveless tops are common at beach areas.

New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Tao Dress Code

YAY! Thank you DIL!

i just have been reading that even in bangkok to avoid strapless/spaghetti strap tank tops and shorts that are above your knee. aka my entire wardrobe!

Well at least now I only have to worry about half the trip! ;o)

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,964 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Tao Dress Code

Even in Bangkok its just the days you are visiting Wats or GP.

For GP you must also cover your heels so if wearing backless sandals bring some socks. You take shoes off for WATs so doesn't affect them.

If the guards don't like the way you are dressed you can rent clothes at GP.

Edited: 11 July 2013, 18:21
London, United...
Level Contributor
13,964 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Tao Dress Code

Forgot to mention its the same for your new husband. No vest but t-shirts are ok.

I usually bring light trousers in a bag that I can pull over shorts when needed.

Even in daytime put on mosquito repellent as there are more and more cases of dengue fever in Thailand and the mosquito's that carry that are around in the daytime.

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Tao Dress Code

T-Shirt, swim short and flip flops are the KT dress code!

Enjoy your trip!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Tao Dress Code

Pack light, you don't need much in Thailand and you can buy anything there cheaper than at home.

manchester
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Tao Dress Code

I was recently in Koh tao, there were many girls in short, short hot pants, skimpy vests etc, no need to cover up at all.

New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh Tao Dress Code

That's awesome!!! Thank you! I mean I don't dress like a tramp. But not a nun either! ;0)

Koh Tao
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Koh Tao Dress Code

Just rember to cover up if you are going to a temple. Apart from that you will be ok.

New York
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koh Tao Dress Code

Thank you Alan! I have a quick question for you since I see you are in Koh Tao. I was checking the weather there and it says that it's stormy every day!!! Is this true?