We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Chumphon to Koh Tao

Brisbane...
1 post
Save Topic
Ferry from Chumphon to Koh Tao

Hello.

at the moment I am planning my Asia trip, and does anyone knows how much the ferries coast between:

Chumphon - Koh Tao

Koh Tao - Koh Phangan

Koh Phangan - Surat Thair

Or does anyone know a websites where you can check the prices out??

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Chumphon to Koh Tao

Hi

Welcome to the Koh Tao forum

Take a look at the Lomprayah website. It's the one of the main services between the destinations you have mentioned

http://www.lomprayah.com/E/index.htm

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Chumphon to Koh Tao

Hi guys,

me and my friend are planning to visit all three islands starting from Koh Tao, then Koh Phangan, and at the end Koh Samui. We want to go on the train or bus to Chumphon and then on the speed ferry. However we still have many questions:

do you know the best way to get to Chumphon? Train or bus?

If bus is lomprayah company reliable?

Do the ferries depart from Chumphon or Lomprayah? (Sometimes companies mention both places).

Do the deal Bangkok koh Tao from the company lomprayah includes ferry ride or we pay separately?

please help

Estera

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Chumphon to Koh Tao

Hi estera:

Best way is subjective, personally I prefer by bus.

Yes, Lomprayah is definitely a reliable company.

Lomprayah ferries depart also from Chumpon (Lomprayah is only a company).

The combined ticket sells by Lomprayah on their website or through a travel agent includes bus journey from Bangkok (khaosan area) to Chumpon pier and ferry from Chumpon pier to Koh Tao. It costs 1.100 bht

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Chumphon to Koh Tao

Yep, everything Matti said! Some people prefer the train as its possible to get an overnight sleeper from BKK - Chumphon that connects with the morning ferry transfer. Many people find the bus easier though, as sleeper berth spaces on trains can book up quickly, and unless you're in Bangkok for a few days in advance to book yourself a spot, you'll probably end up in a standard seated area - very uncomfortable for a long, overnight journey!

Lomprayah and Seatran are both fine, I'd avoid Songserm if at all possible though. Its a very slow and uncomfortable boat.

Happy travels :)

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,023 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Chumphon to Koh Tao

I personally prefer the train as you get an almost proper bed, very comfy and there's a restaurant car on board. The train does arrive very early to Chumphon from memory, although it's usually late as most Thai trains are and then you have to transfer from the station to the pier (about 1/2 hour) and wait around for the first ferry at 7am. You can also fly with Nok Air to Chumphon and they do include a ferry transfer if you prefer.

Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Chumphon to Koh Tao

Lomprayah is jus the way to go: better service, better boats, better schedules, better everything...

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry from Chumphon to Koh Tao

Thanks Guys,

I think we will stick to the bus.

One more question. on the way back we take airplane AirAisia from Surath Thani. Do you know if there is ferry included in those airlines?

We land in Bangkok in DMK air port. Is there any good transport to the international airport?

xxxxx

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,274 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry from Chumphon to Koh Tao

Hi,

Yes, the ferry is included in the price of the ticket, provided of course, you choose that option. Do note that there are government buses (Ordinary and VIP) from Koh Phangan and Koh Samui to Bangkok. They travel overnight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry from Chumphon to Koh Tao

Hi,

I forgot to add. Do you know nice sandy beach with blue water and wide horizon to stay in koh samui close to the waterfall Nam Tok Muang and not to far to get to ferry? We are flying from Surat Thani.

Thank you all xx

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,274 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry from Chumphon to Koh Tao

Hi,

I am unable to comment since we always stay on Koh Phangan. However, I am sure others can respond to your question.

Get answers to your questions about Koh Tao