We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeper train from Bangkok

Which Koh Tao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sleeper train from Bangkok

Has anyone travelled on the sleeper train then ferry to koh Tao? Looking at doing this in August with the family. We are a family of 5 do you know of anywhere on koh Tao with a family room at a reasonable price not far from the beach.

With thanks

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,934 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeper train from Bangkok

We've used sleeper trains a few times with our family of 4. Our kids were under 8 the last time we went and the youngest at 6 (then 7) slept with me in my bunk, last time our 9 year old slept in a top bunk on her own for the first time, but we rigged up a makeshift alarm that she could alert us if anything happened. It might sound crazy, but you do feel very disconnected from each other once in the bunks with the curtains closed. You would need to book tickets well in advance (I think it's only 30 days to Chumphon as it's considered a short journey) and you will need to book through an agency like Royal Exclusiv. You will alight at Chumphon, usually in the early hours of the morning and then get the bus and ferry (Lomprayah) to Koh Tao. I'm not sure about any rooms that will hold 5 people.

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeper train from Bangkok

Hi, I stayed once at New Heaven resort in Chalok Baan Kao and they have nice family bungalows, are 2 big attached rooms for 3 adults, maybe is possible to add small beds. Try to contact them for info.

To travel from and to Bangkok I alwais take bus-boat Lomprayah, departs from Bangkok at 6.00am and arrives in KT at 3.45pm

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeper train from Bangkok

Hi there,

I think the sleeper train should be fine - its probably quite an exciting trip for your children, and they can move around a bit more than on the bus. As Cassnu said just make sure you book in advance as in peak season the sleeper berths can fill up quickly.

Accommodation wise it really depends on which part of the island you want to be based. For Chalok, New Heaven is a good option, as suggested by Matti. In Sairee you could try Prik Thai resort or Simple Life. Have not had direct feedback on any of the other resorts family rooms, but I'm sure most resorts will offer a family solution.

Good luck and happy travels :)

4. Re: Sleeper train from Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 05:18