We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 extra days in Koh Tao or explore Chumphon province

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
6 extra days in Koh Tao or explore Chumphon province

Hi all,

I have 7 days booked on Koh Tao with my girlfriend in April. Our initial thinking was we would move to another part of the island for 6 days before getting the night train back to Bangkok. I am now considering trying to hire a car in Chumphon and exploring the area around there for 6 days . Just wandering if we might find some less touristy beaches and things to do. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge on whether this would be worth be trying? or maybe it's better to just chill for the whole two weeks on the island?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,897 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 extra days in Koh Tao or explore Chumphon province

You will find less touristy beaches, but the beaches are not so good as they are on Koh Toa, but you will enjoy not having so many people around. I would head north from Chumphon and look at places like Bang Saphan and Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 23:17
London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 extra days in Koh Tao or explore Chumphon province

Thanks for your reply Cassnu

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 extra days in Koh Tao or explore Chumphon province

Like most places in thew world places are as interesting as you make them, you need to read up more on the area to see if it suits you, beaches north of Chumphon around Bang Saphan and Ban Krut are nice enough , there are some hotels / resorts , places with eateries, thatched beach bars, it is much quieter than Koh Tao but depends if you are into exploring and venturing away from the tourist trails or not, this may give you some idea

Ban Krut beach area :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLC7mfaOZw0

Prachuap Khiri Khan Town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enKyPkkm9PY

A problem you may have is finding a car rental from Chumpon , nearest for 'good' companies would be Hua Hin or Surat Thani locations.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 16:16
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
185 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 extra days in Koh Tao or explore Chumphon province

Hi guys. Next question if I may please. ;)

7 days or 10 days on Koh Tao in early January?

Afterwards we going to Krabi to continue to relax and explore beautiful Thailand.

We are not party goes, just like to snorkeling and look around.

Thank you.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,897 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 extra days in Koh Tao or explore Chumphon province

I think 7 days would be more than enough to explore Koh Tao. You might also find the seas still rough around Koh Tao, but more than likely calm on the Krabi side.

6. Re: 6 extra days in Koh Tao or explore Chumphon province

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 07:37
Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 extra days in Koh Tao or explore Chumphon province

Agreed with Cassnu, 7 days should be enough. Tao is a very small island (about 21km sq) and much of that is undeveloped jungle, so it does not take too long to explore. At that time of year you may experience a little wind and some waves, but weather patters here are becoming more and more difficult to predict each year. Right now for example we're supposed to be smack bang in the middle of the worst of our monsoon, but its currently glorious weather, and the sea is mostly flat all around the island.

If the weather is fine whilst you're here try and get to some of the quieter places on the east coast. I love Hin Wong bay, Tanote bay and Aow Leuk for snorkelling (sometimes at Aow Leuk you can see black tip reef sharks). I also like Freedom beach at the south of the island for relaxing. And even on Sairee on the west coast, there is a large coral reef stretching the entire length of the beach, so there is plenty to see.

8. Re: 6 extra days in Koh Tao or explore Chumphon province

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2015, 06:16