We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Lagos, Portugal
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Hi!

Im travelling to thailand in april with my boyfriend, We need your advice... Ko tao or Ko Phagnan?

Please help us choose.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Well, it really depends what you want to do. Koh Tao is famous for snorkelling and is a really beautiful island, but does get quite crowded. Sairee is where all the action is if you want somewhere with a bit of an atmosphere. it's also an easy transfer to Koh Nang Yuan Island. Koh Phangan is also laid back, but is famous for the Full Moon Party (plus other parties), but these parties are only in certain areas and the rest of the island is pretty quiet. Depending on what you are looking for Phangan can offer it whether it be party central or chilled relaxation.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,513 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Hi, you could split your time up between them, the Sensi Pardise resort in Koh Tao is beautiful.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,926 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Hi,

If you have the time visit both. Travel between the two is relatively easy by ferry.

Madrid, Spain
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

I would have to say Ko Tao... why? Because there are a ton of turtles in the water to swim alongside! :)

EDIT** Sorry forgot to add.. maybe you should see both.. I made a plan to Phagnan a bit ago http://wishbeen.com/travelplans#!/plans/e734009ca1299ad1 and forgot all about it.. you really *NEED* to try out that wipeout course.. it's a ton of fun :)

Edited: 27 February 2014, 07:19
Bray, Ireland
Level Contributor
867 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

I'd say if you want to do much snorkelling or diving, ko Tao. If this isn't top of your priorities, then ko phangan. On ko phangan, had rin is the most lively and has the full moon parties, if this is what you want but there are plenty of other nice beaches and quieter areas. There is one good place for snorkelling, it's a little island off Mai had beach, in low tide you can walk out to it along a sand bar. Both islands are beautiful and if you have time, I'd check both out.

Ko Tao one if the best places in Thailand for snorkelling or diving. But if you want to party or find a nice quiet beach, ko phangan.

Lagos, Portugal
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Thank you all. Really great tips.

Our vacations are only for 21 one days and we have to split between BKK, Chiang Mai, the gulf islands and andaman islands.

So maybe there wont be time enough to check out both islands and enjoy them properly.

We´re looking for cheap budget accomodation on the beach, chill, not to crowded, do some snorkelling. And also planning on going to Khao Sok National Park for 2 days/1 night.

It´s not an easy choise...

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,926 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Hi,

One of the best places I have stayed at in Thailand:

http://www.longtailbeachresort.com/

It is on the eastern coast of Koh Phangan. However, I don't know if there is any snorkelling in the area.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,115 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

What time of year are you going?

Lagos, Portugal
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

We arrive on BKK on april 2 until april 23. we stay 4 days in BKK then we leave to Chiang Mai for 4/5 days.

Then Ko Tao or Ko Phangnan.We´re planning on arriving 11 april for 5 days :)

Lagos, Portugal
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

The Long Tail Beach Resort looks really nice... Thanks :)

Get answers to your questions about Koh Tao