We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Lagos, Portugal
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Hi!

Im travelling to thailand in april with my boyfriend, We need your advice... Ko tao or Ko Phagnan?

Please help us choose.

Lagos, Portugal
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Griet,these are our plans: we´re travelling from Chiang Mai to Ko Phanghan by train (and ferry). We know its a long trip but this way we save some money . We travel to Chiang Mai to Bangkok in the night train. as we dont want to loose daytime travelling, we are spending the day in Ayutthaya, and then leave from Bangkok to suratthani in the night train.

Cassnu, thats why we dont want to stay in Haad Rin. We want to party, but not that much ... if you kow what i mean :)) we want to wake up the morning after in a clean and quiet beach :) so we´re making the accomodation reservations.. the longtail resort looks nice but is it easy to find and to get to the FMP?

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Hi l am having the same problem have got 5 days spare after koh Samui in June have been to Ko Phagnan 3 times love it the beaches are so pretty my husband and l get a motor bike each and ride around the island just stopping a really nice beach bungalows for a couple of nites here and there. first started going there about 10 years ago and every time we go back it has changed alot more resorts and least beach bungalows which is a shame. we loved Ko Phangnan but havent been to Ko tao so this time we might give Ko tao a try. can you let me know what you decide and when you get back tell us how it went Thanks

Lagos, Portugal
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Ok Summer!

I think w´w will choose Ko Phangan. So if you want to suggest some places to visit you´re welcome. Thank you all so much :)

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,077 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

@summerGoldCoast - if you do decide to go to Koh Tao for a change, be aware that there are a lot of motorbike scams on the island and the roads are nowhere near as good as Koh Phangan.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

i'm making the same decision! i'll be in thailand in june. my flight lands in bangkok at 7:15pm (19:15). I planned on going to koh tao for a couple days (june 4th-10th?), then koh phangan for a few days (10th-15/16th?)...then after the FMP fly to Bali for a week, and back to Bangkok to go home on the 24th.

Now my boyfriend is complaining that we won't be playing with tigers haha. I'm considering Chiang Mai to appease him but that'll cut into the Island time. Also, it's a long trip (unless by plane) from Chiang Mai to the islands...and I'm already flying from NY lol.

Would you advise a trip to Chiang Mai for a few days? & should I just stay on one island?

What are the different "personalities" of the two islands?

Edited: 03 March 2014, 20:28
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,077 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Chiang Mai is not an island, it's the north of the country and very different to the islands. Very naturistic, cultural, cheaper, wonderful food, great night markets (especially on weekends). It's an easy flight from Chiang Mai to Samui (albeit a little expensive). It definitely think you should squeeze in Chiang Mai.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

yeah, i know it's in the north ahah i guess i phrased my sentence wrong.

I'm definitely considering it. Would two nights be enough? I would like to visit the elephant nature park and the tiger kingdom.

I know that animal sites are a moral no-no, but these two places don't seem bad. the elephant nature park is a sanctuary, but all i know about the tiger kingdom i read here:

alexinwanderland.com/2012/…

the flight of the gibbons attraction looks really cool too:

alexinwanderland.com/2012/…

(obviously i'm obsessed with this blog ahhaha)

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,620 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Hi,

You will probably need at least three nights in Chiang Mai, do bear in mind that some of your time will be taken up travelling to the city on day 1.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,077 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Choose your animal experiences very carefully is all I will say, it's a very controversial topic. Alternatively, if you didn't want to go north, then Kanchanaburi west of Bangkok can offer you similar experiences:

tigertemple.org/tigertemple_new/main.php (again very controversial)

Google elephant camps, plenty to choose from (choose carefully).

You could do this as an overnight or even a day trip from Bangkok.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,620 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Ko tao or ko phagnan???

Hi,

Kanchanaburi is a 2.5 bus journey from Bangkok. For Elephants you could consider:

http://elephantsworld.org/en/index.php