We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

koh tao sairee beach and snorkeling

Stockholm, Sweden
3 posts
Save Topic
koh tao sairee beach and snorkeling

Hey,

Me and my wife are coming to koh Tao at the very end of april. How is the situation on Sairee beach in that period. Is it still crowded. We are looking for calm area with good opportunities to snorkel or swim. Any tips where to stay?

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: koh tao sairee beach and snorkeling

April normally isn't very crowded, but the snorkeling in Sairee is very poor. Best beaches for snorkeling are Aow Leuk, Tanote Bay and Jansom Bay

Aow Leuk and Tanote Bay are lovely but pretty secluded, if you want more options for drink and food Chalok Baan Kao is a great option, from there you can easily walk to Thian Og Bay, good snorkeling too.

Edited: 26 March 2014, 16:41
Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: koh tao sairee beach and snorkeling

Hello there,

Actually we'd have to disagree with Matti on this one. The snorkelling on Sairee beach is not 'very poor'. In the mid sections where all the bars and busier resorts are, yes, admittedly that's not the best quality. But at the north and south ends of the beach the water is very clear and there are some amazing coral formations with accompanying fish, which starts about just 30m from the shoreline. If you are looking for a quieter area though, its possibly not for you anyway - April 13th is Songkran (Thai New Year) so even though the beach doesn't normally get crowded, around a week either side of that we'd expect it to be much busier.

The other beaches that Matti mentioned - Aow Leuk, Tanote Bay and Jansom - are much quieter alternatives, although quite isolated. Pretty sure the beach at Jansom is private to Charm Churee customers though. You can still access it, but may be asked to pay a small fee if you're not staying there. Another alternative is Freedom beach, where you have easy access to restaurants and bars in Chalok village - or as Matti suggests you could stay in Chalok itself. From here you also have only a short distance to get to Shark bay (Thian Og bay). This is definitely your best bet if you are interested in seeing black tip reef sharks - and if you are lucky turtles too. The best time to see them is either early mornings - 7-10am or later in the afternoon between 3-5ish. I'd say at those times you have about a 90% chance of some shark spotting. Bear in mind you do not need to go deep - the best place to see them is literally in water around 2- 6metres in depth. There are also a couple of big green turtles that frequent the bay from time to time, but not always guaranteed. I'l be honest, the sharks are the main attraction, and generally the only reason to snorkel this bay. The coral and other marine life is not great quality when compared to other bays on the island. There's not enough to keep you amused for too long after you've seen the sharks so you don't need too much time there.

One other thing to bear in mind is that around the time of your visit, we are getting towards very low tides - at some times of the year this means the shallow corals are exposed making entry and exit quite difficult. Shouldn't be that extreme when you are here though, just something to be aware of. If in doubt you can always swim in crocs/sandals etc to protect your feet when entering and leaving the water.

Hope this helps, happy holidays :)

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: koh tao sairee beach and snorkeling

Hi GTA, compared to other beaches i think that snorkeling in Sairee doesn't offer so much, anyway I respect your opinion.

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: koh tao sairee beach and snorkeling

Yes, fair enough. Each to their own I guess :)

Stockholm, Sweden
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: koh tao sairee beach and snorkeling

Hey,

thanks for tips. We will arrive on 28th of april so I hope it will be calmer then. However, how difficult is it move around the beaches and bays? Is it possible to walk or cycle, or are the distances too big or terrain too difficult to handle on bike? And how is it with accomodation in that period? Do you recommend to book accomodation in advance? Maybe I would prefer to check out all the places first by myself and decide then what will be the perfect spot for us. Is it a problem to find a decent AC room or hut for 20-30 Eur/night without booking in advance?

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: koh tao sairee beach and snorkeling

Hi

Koh Tao is a small island, you can stroll from north to south in less than 3 hours! I would not suggest you trawl the island when you arrive looking for accommodation though. Booking in advance will be cheaper than walk in rates.

Snorkeling from Sairee beach is okay IMO, it's not the best on the island but it isn't bad either. It is more expensive to stay there though.

The downfall for you with accommodation prices is that a lot don't lower their prices until 1st May, even though as the other have suggested after Songkran it gets quieter., so at the end of April you will still pay higher prices for most places.

Chalok Ban Kao is a good compromise for location, access to tourist facilities, and easy access to good beaches. If you do look to stay there Ko Tao Resort is a good mid/budget option.

Good luck with your search.

Safe and happy travels

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: koh tao sairee beach and snorkeling

Agree, I think to book in advance the accomodation is alwais better.

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,586 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: koh tao sairee beach and snorkeling

In Sairee maybe a good option could be In Touch resort. Nice place located at the souhtern part of Sairee Beach, where the water usually tends to be more clearer.

9. Re: koh tao sairee beach and snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Koh Tao