We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Songkran Survival!

Which Koh Tao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
Save Topic
Songkran Survival!

Thai New Year is coming up on the 13th, so just a friendly reminder to first time and repeat Thailand travellers over this period to look after yourselves and your belongings while the water fights are in full flow....

Our top tips for Songkran Survival:

Apply sunscreen - frequently. It will wash off several times over throughout the day.

Drink lots of water - playing all day in the sun will dehydrate you, and we often get a surge of dehydration sickness & heat exhaustion/sun stroke on and around Songkran.

Please be aware of the environment and use sea water to refill your supersoakers - the gulf islands are very dry at the moment so our fresh water resources are more precious than ever.

Under no circumstances take expensive phones, cameras or other electronic equipment out with you if you can help it. You will get drenched and anything not waterproof will get ruined - fact!

Avoid driving motorbikes/quads anywhere. Full stop. You'll still get water and powder thrown in your face, which makes accidents a lot more prevalent.

Some of the powders used as part of the traditions have been replaced over the years by prickly heat powder and similar. So protect your eyes - it stings!

Have fun and Happy Songkran, its an awesome festival, never to be forgotten :)

Save Reply
1. Re: Songkran Survival!

Thanks for the great suggestion. Honestly saying I am very happy after reading this blog because New Year is just a few hours ahead. I have no idea about the Thailand New Year but this time I have decided to celebrate it in India. And presently winter season is going on there. The important thing in your blog is that you have mentioned those points about which no one think. Well, I will follow the instructions and carry everything with me required by the season.

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Songkran Survival!

Hi Trevor,

Its always good to take precautions and be a safe traveller. But you don't need to be too worried about crazy new year antics in the sun on Western New Year here in Thailand. Thai new year is not until 13th April, and is basically an all day water festival which has devolved over the years into one big water fight - hence the warnings about hydration and sunscreen etc!

Have a great new year and all the best for what we would call 2015 - its currently the year 2557 here in the Thai Buddhist calander!

3. Re: Songkran Survival!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2015, 05:15