We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restuarants near haad tein hotel

milton keynes
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
restuarants near haad tein hotel

I shall be staying at the haad tein hotel in may and would like to know if there is any restuarants apart from the hotel ones on the beach. also how far from the hotel are the local restuarants as I do not like to be trapped in the hotel for food.also is it difficult to visit other bays etc on the island from this location. many thanks

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: restuarants near haad tein hotel

Hello there,

Haad Tien resort is fairly remote, so you are likely to be eating there a fair amount to be honest. Although if you walk along the beach to New Heaven resort & Ok bungalows, they have a nice restaurant. Alternatively you could walk or get a taxi from your hotel into Chalok village where there is a range of restaurants and bars. I know Haad Tien has a scheduled pick up and drop off service for Chalok, Mae Haad and Sairee Villages, so you will be able to get out and about and find other alternatives, although you'll be restricted to those set times unless you are prepared to pay for taxi's yourself (and they're not cheap here!).

I'd highly recommend trying Viewpoint resort restaurant, and also Lung Pai restaurant - both of these offer a free pick up and drop off service, and your hotel reception should be able to arrange for you.

In terms of accessing other bays, you could either rent mopeds (but be careful, and definitely do not do this if you've no previous driving experience), take a land taxi or catch a long tail boat.

Hope this helps, happy holidays :)

Mentioned in this post
Sairee Beach
Sairee Beach
516 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
Pai
Pai
Mae Hong Son Province, Thailand
Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,637 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restuarants near haad tein hotel

As my experience during the night is a bit hard reach the New Heaven restaurant through the beach, better to go there via Chalok Baan Kao village. Anyway is one of my favourite restaurants. In Chalok I like so much also the seafood bbq at Koh Tao resort.

Enjoy KT

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Koh Tao
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: restuarants near haad tein hotel

Just a word about the post from Goodtime Adventures. New Heaven resort will be closed by May, so that will no longer be an option for you. Sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Goodtime Adventures, Koh Tao
Goodtime Adventures, Koh...
974 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: restuarants near haad tein hotel

Thanks for letting us all know Alan, we weren't aware of that :)

5. Re: restuarants near haad tein hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 00:35
Surrey,united...
Level Contributor
64 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restuarants near haad tein hotel

I spent 8 nights at haad tien last November. Firstly, I found eating the hotel alright, I think the menu keeps changing so I couldn't guarantee any dishes. The beach bar does simple snacks, burgers, rice meals, chicken wings, but stop doing food at 5pm. They do room service till late ish 10-11pm or so, again you can get burgers, rice, but no chicken wings, it was o.k but not great. We went out about half the nights so here is what I can advise. The free shuttle to haad Mae (the pier area) leaves at 6:45pm, it takes 10-15 minutes, whitening restaurant is o.k, you get dropped off at the top of a hill near a bank, walk down the hill to the bottom, take the street the bottom or street on the left, whitening is a few minutes walk, does an ok steak, fish, Thai food, it faces the water, only problem is there are no fans or air on and it can get hot (which is why we stayed in some nights), there is not much else in haad Mae that is good, but there good be nice places found. Instead of going to haad mae, if you pay 50 baht per person (a quid each) they will take you to sairee beach where the are lots of good restaurants, although we found it hard to find one that did both western and Thai, barracuda looked nice, slightly more pricey but everything was fusion food, there an Aussie steak house, that kind of thing. We went to "the gallery" which was number one on trip advisor, but it wasn't anything special if you ask me. The hotel drops you off by hippos restuarnt, which does steaks burgers etc. To get back from sairee beach, you can get a taxi back to haad mae to the bank where the hotel drops of for a 10 pm collection, but you may as well just get it back to the hotel as it will be much the same price, you should be able to get back from sairee for 300 baht, had mae 250 baht. Finding a taxi on koh is not always easy day or night, there are taxi ranks that you will need to go to. A tip, we met a taxi driver in haad Mae, he seemed a nice bloke so we took his mobile number, so I recommend this as it is could be quicker to call and wait rather than walk around looking for one and you can negotiate better prices. As people have said, there is not much near haad tien, even if you went to jamahkiri it would be quite a walk in the dark. So really you will be going to haad mae of sairee beach. Hope this helps.

Surrey,united...
Level Contributor
64 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restuarants near haad tein hotel

On reflection, even though the only places where we went out, whitening a few times and the gallery, I think it was best at the hotel, but you will want to go out and have a look. The hotel restaurant is spacious, lots of the places in sairee are a bit cramped for space, as I said, with no fans or anything whitening was stifling hot and although the steak was cheap after having it a few times you realise the quality wasn't up to much, tasty though when you had a few beers, service was slow, however, even with the taxi back it was the same price as eating at the hotel. Sairee is lots of little side streets, not the most beautiful place in the world, just a heads up, if your pushed for time, tired, it's not that great eating out in koh Tao, the food at the hotel was the best quality and service, prawn chilli pasta was really nice, the basic rice meal is bland so try something better. Fish BBQ looked ok, but I didn't it, steak is pretty much u.k prices, they didn't do anything simple like burgers/ fish and chips in the restaurant, I understand the restaurant in the new property just been built "the beach club" is going to be an Italian.

Edited: 10 April 2014, 00:05
Mentioned in this post
Sairee Beach
Sairee Beach
516 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
8. Re: restuarants near haad tein hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 05:16