We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap and Clean Accomodations for August

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Cheap and Clean Accomodations for August

Hello. My girlfriend and I will be in Koh Tao come early August of 2014, and are trying to zero in on decent accommodations. We're in our early 30s, and looking for something a little more quiet than the usual fair. Clean and located near the water would be ideal.

In 2012, I stayed at the "Taatoh Resort and Freedom Beach Resort" (agoda.com/taatoh-resort-and-freedom-beach-re…), and though that was fine (little hill side bungalows overlooking the water), the artificial boulders on the beach made the hike into the rest of Chaalok Bay annoying (they divide the resorts portion of sand into a private area, which would have been nice if any restaurants or bars were divided in with us). Still, I really liked the area, but due to the heat (and my pig headed refusal to even entertain handing my passport over for a scooter), we never saw any other beaches on the island.

I'm curious if Chaalok bay really is the best choice for what I'm looking for (quiet, reflective, meditative zone conducive to writing or a leisurely swim).

Bonus question: In a way I'm kind of curious what other hubs of activity there are on the island. I know the Chaalok region, and Mae Had was passed through. I avoided Sairee based on reputation, but I hear the beach is nice (so maybe I'll visit this time). Any other populated enclaves or little regions worth considering?

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Taatoh Resort & Freedom Beach Resort
Taatoh Resort & Freedom...
280 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
Sairee Beach
Sairee Beach
505 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap and Clean Accomodations for August

p.s.

Does anybody have any information on the dominant direction of the prevailing winds in early ~ mid August?

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap and Clean Accomodations for August

Sairee does have a nice beach for relaxing on although it's also the liveliest beach on the island so it's probably as you have already identified better for a visit rather than for accommodation.

You could try Tao Tong or Char Bungalows around near Sai Nuan and Cape Je Ta Gang. These bays are secluded and quiet. The only issue means that the prevailing wind may mean there are some waves coming into the beach which could make the leisurely swim more difficult but all your other requirements should be met.

To tick all your boxes you could look at Aow Leuk or Tanote bays. They are a bit further away from action and taxis are quite expensive to get around. Riding a motorbike is an option but it of course be very careful if you choose to do this.

Hope this helps. Happy planning and safe travels!

Mentioned in this post
Sairee Beach
Sairee Beach
505 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
Sai Nuan Beach
Sai Nuan Beach
348 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,614 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap and Clean Accomodations for August

Southern end of Sairee beach is usually pretty quiet, In Touch resort has cheap rooms, have a look

http://www.intouchresort.com

Anyway as GTA says Aow Leuk or Tanote Bay are perfect for what you're looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Sairee Beach
Sairee Beach
505 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap and Clean Accomodations for August

Besides Sairee, Mae Haad and the Chaalok area, what other hubs of activity exist on the island? Are there other zones?

Two or three restaurant / bar options is all we need.

Mentioned in this post
Sairee Beach
Sairee Beach
505 Reviews
Koh Tao, Thailand
Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap and Clean Accomodations for August

As above, Tanote Bay or Aow Leuk. They have 2 - 3 restaurants each but not really any late nightlife.

6. Re: Cheap and Clean Accomodations for August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 05:16