We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Divemaster training need some advice, DMT

Thailand
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Divemaster training need some advice, DMT

Looking for advice from DM ( or instructors) who have experienced the island.

I'm planning to head to koh tao soon to take my Divemaster training PADI. Want to spend upto 2 months todo this.

I've seen the price of a school I was intrested In (medium -small size) and it was 80k , abit steep.

It's 35000 where I am now in Malaysia but want to change location ..

Can somebody recommend some places I can put on the short list to check out on foot,

If your from the shop please say in your post .

Cheers ,

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Divemaster training need some advice, DMT

Hi

I've sent you a PM

Safe and happy travels

Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Divemaster training need some advice, DMT

I am not from a shop but my advice is this: come here, walk around, don't book online. At the end of the day your main instructor/mentor will be instrumental in your development and you can't make a decision online !!

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Divemaster training need some advice, DMT

As requested in you OP, we are a shop that offer the PADI DM. My advice would still be to talk with a few shops here before committing to the course. DM is not just a few days like an OW or advanced course so you want to make sure you like the people you'll be spending most of your time over 2 months with! If you want some customer perspective on dive shops then have a look here: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g303910-Activiti…

In terms of pricing, 80,000 THB for a divemaster course seems way off to me.

More realistic pricing is 30,000 THB for the course plus materials (6,000 THB). I also think 2 months is a realistic amount of time to complete the course in. There are a couple of pre-requisites you must meet in order to start the DM course which are 40 logged dives and you must hold a Rescue diver SCUBA cert and a valid first aid certification to include CPR.

There are some other things just to bear in mind when you're budgeting for your time here:

If you don't already have your own, a full set of gear including dive computer costs from 60,000 THB.

Accommodation costs from 10,000 THB per month plus bills

Bike rental is from 3,000 THB per month.

Food and drinks are pretty cheap. You'll probably have a fridge in your accommodation which will help keep costs down.

The other recommendation I would have would be to organise your visa in advance. You can get a 60 day tourist visa from most embassies outside of Thailand. Then you never have to worry about border runs while you-re here either.

Happy planning, and feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Thailand
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Divemaster training need some advice, DMT

Thanks for the detailed reply ,

I have taken into account most of your suggestions already and have those covered.

Except for the equipment , I'm presuming I will be able to use the shops I'm taking the course with , and purchase my own along the way.

Most likely online and delivered to avoid paying island price premium cost..

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Divemaster training need some advice, DMT

You're welcome.

Dive gear is a big market here so it's pretty reasonable. There's also a decent second hand gear market - ex-rentals and people leaving that mean there are bargains possible.

Indeed if you are training you can use your shop's gear. If you intend to work once you qualify however, it's expected that you'll have all of your own equipment.

Anything else you want to ask, feel free to sing out!

6. Re: Divemaster training need some advice, DMT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 05:15