We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh tao - some of the best places

Which Koh Tao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Koh tao - some of the best places

Hi all!

Hoping everyone is well, I'm here for a spot of advise.

I'm travelling to Koh Tao next week to do some marine conservation work for 4 weeks, can't wait to see the excellent dive spots I've heard so much about. However I was wanting to know if there are any really great places that are almost a must see to visit, restaurants, or viewing points for some beautiful scenic photos. I probably won't get up to much activities as I will be exhausted from all the diving during the week, so I'm looking for recommendations of things to do on weekends and weekday evenings. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I believe I am staying in the Chalak ban kao area of the island.

Regards,

Eddie

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,530 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh tao - some of the best places

There are several view points where to make scenic photos, my favourites are Koh Nang Yuan View Point and John Suwan View Point tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g303910-i9415-k6…

Regarding the restaurants, I like Koh Tao Resort for the seafood bbq, New Heaven for the view and international menù, Barracuda for the fine seafood dining, Fizz for the vibe and the hamburgher, Tukta for thai food

Happy hour at sunset: Fizz or Lotus, after dinner party at Maya or Ac

Enjoy Koh Tao

2. Re: Koh tao - some of the best places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 11:35
Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh tao - some of the best places

Agree with Matti80 that Koh NangYuan is a classic viewpoint. It's best visited from the mid-afternoon onwards as it gets very busy in the middle of the day. Aim to arrive as the Samui tour groups are leaving. John Suwan is close to Chalok too. I like some other viewpoints such as Two View but it's more of a strenuous hike to get there so may not be what you want.

Ying Yang in Chalok has some of the best Thai food available. It's a bit more interesting than some of the same-same menus and has some inventive dishes. It's perhaps a few baht more expensive than standard but worth it as the curries are rich and tasty. They'll also cook to order as spicy or as mild as you like. It's usually full from 19:00 so it's worth making the effort to get there early!

Chalok has a couple of good beach bars (Buddha Bar & Bar Next Door) but you'll want to go to Sairee for the liveliest parties. Fishbowl and Lotus are your best bets now. Maya Beach Club has moved their focus to daytime and now close at around 20:00 or 21:00. With this though, Maya is a great place for daytime people watching and serve a great new menu (sushi in the afternoons is really good). Also in Sairee as Matti80 says is Barracuda which is a personal favourite. Later party bars include Fishbowl and Lotus.

The diving is really lovely here but there's also a lot more to Koh Tao. Safe travels and have a good trip!

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,530 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh tao - some of the best places

So no more parties at Maya?? Bad news GTA :)

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh tao - some of the best places

Don't worry Matti80, they still have parties for special events. Big name DJs are there from time to time and they're the place to go for Songkran, Halloween, Christmas and new year etc. It's just not every night for late parties now.

Edinburgh, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh tao - some of the best places

Brilliant thanks for the advise guys! Can't wait for my trip, from the photos I have seen koh tao looks beautiful and I'm looking forward to discovering the island!

7. Re: Koh tao - some of the best places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 05:16