We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Koh Tao- Itinerary Advice Pls!

Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Koh Tao- Itinerary Advice Pls!

My husband and I will be coming to Koh Tao at the end of August/ beginning of September. I would like to run my travel plans on how we are getting there by some of you to see if they make sense!

Thanks!

Arriving:

29th- we arrive in Bangkok at midnight, stay in hotel by BKK overnight.

30th- 9:00am to 10:05am take Bangkok air flight to Samui airport

12:30- 2:30pm Lomparayah from Maenam pier to Koh Tao.

I'm assuming we will have plenty of time to make our ferry at 12:30 with our flight landing at 10?

Departure:

9:30- 11:20 Lomparayah to Samui

11:30-2:00 Free time in Koh Samui (Will this be difficult with our large backpacks? Will there be some beach close by and restaurants to hang out at? I will be almost 7 months pregnant at the time, so carrying my backpack a lot is my only concern there)

3:40pm Bangkok air to Chiang Mai

Does this itinerary make sense to people? Is there a better way to do it? I looked into Nok air (which I realize is cheaper), but it seemed to me it would be difficult to get to Chiang Mai from there and that the ferries don't line up nicely with their flight times.

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Koh Tao- Itinerary Advice Pls!

Hi there,

That looks like a pretty well planned itinerary to me. Your 10.05am arrival on Samui should leave plenty of time to get to the Lomprayah pier. Its only about half an hour (ish, depending on traffic) in a taxi/minivan. If you go to the info desk on arrival in Samui, you'll be able to organise a transfer easily on the spot. If your flight happens to be a bit late I'd recommend one of you waiting by the carousel for your bags and the other going straight through to the info desk - which is only about 30 metres away. That way you're set to go as soon as your bags arrive with minimal queuing!

On the way back to Samui, I'd be tempted just to head straight to the airport. Some of the others on here who are more familiar with Samui may be able to suggest some handy restaurant/beach stop alternatives though. By the time you get off the ferry and get to the airport it will probably be about 12 anyway and Samui airport, although small, is not the worst place to spend some time. There's an outdoor street of shops and a few options for food/snacks. There's also a garden/grassy area where you can chill out while you're waiting.

I think in your situation you've the best and most efficient option, even though it is a little more expensive. So you've planned very well in my opinion.

Happy holidays and safe travels :)

Level Contributor
11 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Koh Tao- Itinerary Advice Pls!

Thanks! Just thought I'd run it by someone with a little more expertise before I booked anything! :)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
400 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Koh Tao- Itinerary Advice Pls!

Seems good. As mentioned should be lots of time to catch the 12:30 ferry. I also agree with heading straight to the airport. You'll get there at noon at the earliest depending on how quickly the ferry empties and traffic getting to the airport. Samui is a small, but beautiful little airport. There are some nice shops, cold beers and food, plus WiFi. Have you last couple of Singhas, chill, and relax before your journey home.

4. Re: Getting to Koh Tao- Itinerary Advice Pls!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 06:16