We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quads/bikes Koh Tao

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Quads/bikes Koh Tao

Looking for some advice on hiring quads/bikes on koh Tao in October.

I have heard that Buddha View Travel is the best place to hire from as they unlikely to rip you off when returning the bikes? Can anyone confirm this or know of any other reputable rental companies?

Also for exploring the different beaches is it best to get a bike or quad? We were swaying more towards quads as we might feel more at ease on four wheels rather than two!

Any help is much appreciated!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
41 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quads/bikes Koh Tao

Scooter hire is readily available, didm't see many quads, tho. Getting around on scooter is great fun & very easy. My 17yo son who had never ridden a bike before was scooting around and lifting his 13yo sister wherever we went. Hiring from the corner rental is sometimes a bit dodgy (I believe) so we rented via our resort. It was slightly more expensive, but took the hassle out of having to find your way back to your hotel at the end of the day and also took the dodgeyness (is that a word??) out of the equation. Hire was about 300B per day excl fuel.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quads/bikes Koh Tao

Thank you for your help. If you don't mind me asking, what resort where you staying at?

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Quads/bikes Koh Tao

Hello and welcome to the Koh Tao Forum,

There are quad bikes available for rent, but not as prevalent as scooter rental. There is a place on the down road in Mae Haad that has a load of them. We've no first hand experience with their quads, but we've heard a few negative stories from renters there in the past. Bingo in Sairee also rents them, and is a reputable set up. I would not recommend renting one if you have no experience though. Lots of tourists rent quad bikes here because they 'think' they are safer than mopeds. This is unfortunately not really the case - especially on the roads here that are very steep and bumpy. They can easily tip and turn over - especially when heavily loaded with bags/passengers on the back. If you do decide to rent, just be careful about overloading and take it very slowly.

We'd offer the same advice to anyone looking at moped rental here - unless you have plenty previous experience and are comfortable driving one already its best to give it a miss. There have been numerous reports of overcharging scams on the forum lately so do be very careful where you rent from and make sure you document any existing scratches on the bike carefully before taking it out. Oli's bike rental in Mae Haad (on the down road) is run by a westerner, and very honest and fair. Roctopus in Sairee also rent out bikes, and do not charge for small scratches or require passport deposit. Our customers have used both of these options and have never had any problems.

Hope this helps.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
41 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quads/bikes Koh Tao

Hi, we only did a day-trip to Koh Tao & did most of our scootering on Koh Lanta & Koh Samui. The Koh Samui traffic was heavy in places, but we had no problems what-so-ever. We had virtually no previous biking experience but if you take it slowly, watch out for potholes and try to anticipate other road-users movements, you should be fine. Scootering is not "like riding a bike" - it's in fact easier! I would not suggest riding in Bangkok tho', that traffic scared me as a taxi passenger!!

5. Re: Quads/bikes Koh Tao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Koh Tao