We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ao leuk bay

Which Koh Tao hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ao leuk bay

Thinking of walking from sairee village to the bay at ao leuk, is it nice for swimming ?

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ao leuk bay

Aow Leuk is a bit of a walk from Sairee, it would probably take you around an hour. However, it is lovely for swimming and snorkelling. In fact its one of the few places where you have an excellent chance of spotting some black tip reef sharks. The shallow corals on both sides of the bay are very pretty.

If you are tired after your walk over and swimming session, you could always organise a taxi or long tail boat back. Expect to pay around 400THB for that though, unfortunately taxi drivers (both land and sea) charge premium prices on Koh Tao.

Cuneo, Italy
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Terengganu
Level Contributor
11,525 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ao leuk bay

It's my favourite beach, very nice for swimming, relax and sunbathing.

For me is too long by walk, one hour I think is an optimistic estimate, better to take a taxi or taxi boat!

Marseille, France
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ao leuk bay

if you walk ,you will have plenty of time to look around and realize how it's full a rubbish everywhere , specially along the road to aow leuk ,and then when you arrive at the beach ,the view is blocked by all the dive boat witch all of them have toilet direct in the sea !!!

Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ao leuk bay

Thank you all for advice, we walked and enjoyed the surprise of the lovely beach at the end of it ! We took a taxi back though, we loved the day !

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ao leuk bay

Good to know, happy to hear you had a good day :)

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ao leuk bay

Looking for a simple bungalow at Ao Leuk for me and my daughter (summer 2016). Can you recommend one?

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ao leuk bay

Hi Wintersweet,

There are only 3 resorts in the bay itself - Ao Leuk resort, Ao Leuk 2 resort (original huh?!) and Nice Moon bungalows. I've never stayed in any personally, but now people who have. The bungalows there for the most part are pretty simple - but at a premium price based on location and view. The last I heard it was around 800THB per night for a basic wooden fan bungalow (although unhelpfully I'm not sure exactly which of the 3 resorts that was at I'm afraid). Plus taxi and transfer prices on Koh Tao are charged at a premium, so it would make for an expensive place to base yourselves if you want to explore. I guess your best bet is to contact each of the resorts and see what they can offer, but I'd be surprised if the prices weren't all fixed between the 3 resorts anyway.

Hope this helps :)

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ao leuk bay

Thanks! I think it's just a little too remote (not easily accessible). Other question, is July a busy season on Koh Tao?

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ao leuk bay

Yes, I'd tend to agree with that decision.

July is peak season here. It will start getting quieter again as we get into September, but until then it is normally consistently busy.

10. Re: Ao leuk bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2016, 06:18