We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Centre des Traditions et des Métiers d'Art de Kairouan

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Topic

I found a reference to this in Rough Guide but haven't been able to find anything out about it on the web.

It is just north of Bir Barouta on on Rue Barouta heading to Souk Belaghjia, and was set up by ONAT to promote local handicrafts. The rooms upstairs to demonstrate traditional techniques for weaving, embroidery and carpet making. The artisans are usually happy to show you how it's done - but without the hard sell.

Has any one visited and what is it like?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Bir Barouta
Bir Barouta
53 Reviews
Kairouan, Tunisia
Great Mosque of Kairouan
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites
Medina of Kairouan
Neighbourhoods, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Bir Barouta
Points of Interest & Landmarks
3 replies to this topic
stroud
Level Contributor
655 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Centre des Traditions et des Métiers d'Art de Kairouan

Essw,

Hello and i have done this excursion a number of years ago and visited the pools and the Mosque but not a lot of time after also visitng a carpet shop and dinner in a local hotel,so perhaps if you can travel under ones own steam you will have more time.

The APPC ticket office is next to the pools on the Rue Ibn al Aghlab and you can purchase a global ticket and this gives you entrance to other sites.

I have been also informed you may be able to also hire a guide so that is an option you may consider and just check the visiting times for the venues and is states sometimes you may be able to extend your ticket to the next day but i would enquire.

I hope this helps and i wish you a safe trip and enjoy Tunisia and its culture.

Good luckToby.

Edited: 02 November 2011, 21:43
Mentioned in this post
Tunisia
Tunisia
Africa
UK
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Centre des Traditions et des Métiers d'Art de Kairouan

We visited the Centre des Traditions et des Metiers d'Art de Kairouan three years ago so have no experience since the uprising.

It was a relaxing and interesting visit. On the first floor we saw a number of women working the looms who were happy to demonstrate their craft but without pushing us to buy anything. On the ground floor there were separate rooms displaying ceramics, metalwork etc with fixed prices attached. Once again we were free to wander without hindrance - in fact when we wanted to buy two bowls we had to search for someone to take our money.

By contrast the sales techniques of the stall holders in the main thoroughfare was most aggresive - we saw one woman being manhandled in an effort to take her further into a shop. She and her companion shouted at the man and then quickly left.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Centre des Traditions et des Métiers d'Art de Kairouan

Thanks for your helpful reply Joanna. Fingers crossed the Centre is still up and running. I hate the aggressive sales technique and it puts me off stopping to look, let alone buy. The Centre sounds so different.

Reply to: Centre des Traditions et des Métiers d'Art de Kairouan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kairouan