We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Palace at Kagan out of Bukhara

Moss Vale, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
White Palace at Kagan out of Bukhara

My husband and I have been using a car and driver as we traverse Uzbekistan. At Kagan, the rail station for Bukhara, there is a White Palace built for Tzar Nicholas 11. We were able to get into the palace for a brief look and found it very intriguing.

It is not used as a tourist attraction and a check of various websites doesn't give any info.

Can any locals, or other knowledgeable people tells us more about it?

Thanks in advance.

4 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Palace at Kagan out of Bukhara

I'm reading a book called The Lost Heart of Asia by Colin Thubron, in preparation for my trip in about three weeks. While I haven't yet gotten to it, there is a chapter called "To the White Palace" that might explain a few things.

Also, I wanted to ask you a question: We also plan to hire drivers, mainly between cities. What is the going rate for a car and driver for three people between major cities?

Many thanks.

Moss Vale, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Palace at Kagan out of Bukhara

Hi baltoellen,

I also have read the book before and during our time in Uzbekistan.

The 'White Palace' referred to in that chapter is the one at Shakhrisabz, an interesting town a few hours out of Samarkand. Ak Saray is its proper name.

The one I was intrigued with is out of Bukhara, at Kagan, the rail station for Bukhara.

I am not able to give you a costing as our trip was organized with a travel agent in Australia. I can give you the name of the company that was used in Uzbekistan, which you may like to contact. The company is Cross Travel. Our driver, Marat, gave us his card with the following email address on it: arostr@mail.ru

We had the best time and cannot speak highly enough of the organization, inclusions and importantly the professional driving ability of Marat.

Uzbekistan is a wonderful country and the people we encountered snd the things we saw will provide us with wonderful memories.

Hope you gave a great time and if you think I can help, just ask.

Kind regards,

Barbara Anne

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Palace at Kagan out of Bukhara

Hi Barbara Anne,

Well, now I'm really intrigued! I googled quickly and found this: sambuh.com/en/…kagan-bukhara.html. I'm guessing you saw this already?

Thanks for your offer to help answer queries. And, delighted that you had a great time. I so cannot wait to get there!

best,

Ellen

Moss Vale, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White Palace at Kagan out of Bukhara

Hi Ellen,

Thanks for digging this up.

No, I had not seen the website, but upon reading it, it confirmed what we had heard. We had thought the October Rev in 1917 stopped Nicholas from attending, whereas the article implies an earlier problem for him. Wonder what that was?

The intrigueing bit comes about as we had also heard it was built by the Emir for Nicholas11 sister to impress her sufficiently to marry him. This was told to us by our guide.

What ever the real story is, it has fired up our imagination and that is a good thing.

We were lucky to get in and see a bit of the ground floor incl the Ball Room and it was lovely, if run down.

Ah travel, don't you just love it!

Kind regards,

Barbara

Reply to: White Palace at Kagan out of Bukhara
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bukhara