We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friends of Dr.Bob and Bill Wilson

Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Friends of Dr.Bob and Bill Wilson

I might be settling in Hoiphong for awhile. Does anyone know where i might find a meeting???? I know there are meetings in Hanoi thats like a 3 hour car ride.Please help. Thanks . Ray

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friends of Dr.Bob and Bill Wilson

if you are looking for the local AA meeting - why not just ask - you are already hiding behind the anonymity of a 'user name'

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friends of Dr.Bob and Bill Wilson

I'm not sure how many people would understand the expression "Friends of Dr.Bob and Bill Wilson", indeed I had to google it myself.

I suppose there might be AA meetings in Haiphong, but whether or not they would be held in English would depend on the size of the expat community there and how many of them are English speaking. A google search has revealed there to be a group in Hanoi and they might be your best bet for information:

http://www.aahanoi.com/

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friends of Dr.Bob and Bill Wilson

haha... CB - I had to google it too but ended up looking back at the OPs previous posts.

I would have thought that AA would have had some kind of website with an "initial contacts" list for various countries too

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friends of Dr.Bob and Bill Wilson

the title Friends of Dr Bob and Bill W is the internationally recognized name for AA and anyone who is a member would immediately know what was meant.

ps - I only know because we cruise often and there are always meetings onboard the ships advertised in the daily program with the title Dr Bob and Bill W - so of course, the first time I saw it, it was easy enough to google and discover what it means.

Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Friends of Dr.Bob and Bill Wilson

Again does anyone know if there is A.A meeting in Hoiphong????? Years ago i posted this question and most of the responses were i shouldn't travel if i have such a problem. Well i do travel and have lived in other communities,it is a very important part of my life.So if there someone from Hoiphong please give me an e-mail.I hope i didn't offend anyone with my question. Thanks

PP
Level Contributor
67 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Friends of Dr.Bob and Bill Wilson

I don't understand why you shouldn't travel with such a problem?

PP
Level Contributor
67 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Friends of Dr.Bob and Bill Wilson

Still on the topic, I was always under the impression that AA advocates no drinking and assigns a sponsor. I presume that someone who regulary consumes one or two drinks with dinner, and typically no more, wouldn't be a member of AA. As well, I presume that the sponsor thinig might be a problem if there was a very public attempt to tell people to avoid the person.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Friends of Dr.Bob and Bill Wilson

it doesn't seem as though you are going to get a straightforward answer here to your very simple question so why don't you post your question on one of the Hanoi Expat blogs - even though as you say, Hanoi is three or four hours away- someone may be able to point you in the right direction.

good luck with your search

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Friends of Dr.Bob and Bill Wilson

Hi OP,

It would appear to me that poster #2 ( Creaking Bones) has attached a website that has quite a number of contacts in Hanoi ( emails and phone numbers ). Have you thought of messaging them to ask for Haiphong contacts? Haiphong , Danang, Can Tho battle to be the 3rd biggest city in VN, and one would be surprised if AA is not represented there!

Alcoholism is a major problem in VN, and many ex-pats , who work away from home ( anywhere ) , are prone to " having one to many"!

Good Luck with your search!

plover

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,895 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Friends of Dr.Bob and Bill Wilson

That was precisely my thinking plover! Thought I was being helpful when I provided that link. :-(