We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ninh Binh Train to Hoi An

Newcastle
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ninh Binh Train to Hoi An

Hi TA

We are a family of five that will be in Ninh Binh for a night on 13th December. We have been looking at variouse hotels that could accomodate us and are still unsure. Can anybody provide a review/thoughts on the AIQ hotel? We are also considering the Queen Hotel.

We will be arriving from Halong Bay/Hanoi on the 13th ( Not sure of the time yet) and will then be catching the train the next night to Hoi An. Should we book the train now to ensure a sleeper, or is it ok to get tickets on the day?

Thanks

David

Ninh Binh City
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ninh Binh Train to Hoi An

Hi Dave

Ninhbinh dont have train to go direct to Hoian 9only to Danang 30km before hoiand but if you like to go directly from Ninhbinh to hoi an you can got the bus 9sleeper but

2. Re: Ninh Binh Train to Hoi An

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 08:35
Newcastle
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ninh Binh Train to Hoi An

Thanks Luong. Just realised my mistake. We actually want to go to Hue and will catch the 18:03 train. Do we need to book tickets for a soft or hard sleeper, or would we be able to get them when we get to Ninh Binh?

Thanks

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ninh Binh Train to Hoi An

Dave, as you will be in Ninh Binh just one night the southbound train is likely to be fully booked by the time you arrive in Ninh Binh. I once left it until the day before and had to take the sleeper bus to Hue - an experience never to be repeated and which I would advise strongly against.

Either go to an agent in Hanoi to make your reservations in advance, or ask your hotel in Ninh Binh whether they would do it for you from there, but again that would have to be done a few days in advance.

Ninh Binh City
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ninh Binh Train to Hoi An

It is possible you can get the train in ninhbinh they got more than 4 trains aday so you can get the train at 18h30 or 21h39 pm and it cost you about 29usd for one per (with solf sleeper train )

Warners Bay...
Level Contributor
463 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ninh Binh Train to Hoi An

Hi Dave, I would strongly suggest you book your sleeper tickets well in advance, if you are doing Halong Bay before Ninh Binh I would assume you will be in Hanoi before hand, I was in VN in April/May this year and we booked our tickets in advance by 9 days for Ninh Binh to Dong Hoi and still could not get a sleeper together (3 of us) being 5 of you be prepared for this. Train travel with kids is quite relaxing especially if you use the sleeper cabin, much better than bus travel as CB pointed out. Suggestion in case you are not aware train travel in Vn is very different to what we are use too here in Newcastle, bring snacks with you for the kids, toilet paper, water we found it a great experience, but the standards are not what you are use too, unless of course you have experienced SE Asia train travel before.

Cheers Sylvia

Newcastle
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ninh Binh Train to Hoi An

Many thanks everybody. I have been on the vietnam railways website and there are hard sleepers available. I was not sure whether i needed to book this far out. Given everybodies comments i may just go and book online and secure the sleeper cabin.

I love TA. So many helpful and knowledgable people. We are all so excited about our trip, but Vietnam is so alien to us. We knew nothing before we started researching, and being a developing tourist economy there are so many mixed reviews about hotels and attractions, it sometimes gets overwhelming.

One again many thanks,

David

leicester
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ninh Binh Train to Hoi An

Book in advance, and don't go by bus under any circumstances as Creaking Bones has said. We booked tickets in the UK with Vietnam Impressive who delivered them to our hotel for when we arrived. Also the hotel booked a couple for us. The trains are pretty basic so make sure you take a few essentials ie snacks, water, toilet roll!

Just seen your new post, soft sleepers are the best bet. Hard sleepers are just wood

Edited: 06 October 2012, 12:30
leicester
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ninh Binh Train to Hoi An

I can fully recommend the Ngoc Anh hotel in Ninh Binh where we stayed a few weeks ago. The owners are lovely and it was central, very clean and new. The old hotel nearby is also recommended. Not sure it will have the room layout you may need but worth a try. Our double room was £12 inc breakfast! There's nothing really in NB so we were very glad of the fried eggs and jam with fresh bread!

Newcastle
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ninh Binh Train to Hoi An

Hi Jo

Many thanks for your comments.

We had booked the Queen Hotel in Nimh Binh after reviewing TA and other hotel sights. Not sure if it the right decision or not. We looked at Ngoc Anh Hotel but was either booked or could not get the five of us in.

I think i will go ahead and book the tickets on the train via the vietnam railways site.

Many thanks for everyone's help.