We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problem with cancellations in Ninh Binh, preferred agent

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Problem with cancellations in Ninh Binh, preferred agent

I recently booked 4 nights accommodation at a Ninh Binh Hotel, at the end of April 2013, through one of the 'preferred agencies' that pop up during the process. I was told NO cancellation fees on booking and proceeded to book at a cost of AUD288. We have now decided to cancel, due to a change in plans, and been told that to do so now will cost AUD722.44, with the balance added to our original payment. If we cancel within 3 days of the original booking we forfeit ONE NIGHT, at a cost of AUD72. I have contacted both the hotel and the booking agency in an effort to sort this out.

Watch this space!!

Greg

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problem with cancellations in Ninh Binh, preferred agent

I guess it was not booking.com.....anyway I always book directly.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problem with cancellations in Ninh Binh, preferred agent

No it was not booking.com, the problem appears to be with the hotel changing their cancellation policy. The booking agency say they can't do anything until they get the okay from the hotel. I am waiting to hear back from them, hopefully it can be sorted out amicably.

Greg

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problem with cancellations in Ninh Binh, preferred agent

"No it was not booking.com, the problem appears to be with the hotel changing their cancellation policy. The booking agency say they can't do anything until they get the okay from the hotel. I am waiting to hear back from them, hopefully it can be sorted out amicably"

Whilst a change in cancellation policy isn't common practice, it does occasionally occur with unscrupulous operators. The online agency is telling you the absolute truth, it's an issue with the hotel, not the agency.

So you absolutely dd the right thing by attempting to sort this out with the hotel, so well done. You're about the only poster in the past few months who is willing to see its not just an issue with the online agent.

I would also see if you can details on consumer related authority in their local region, as well as in yor own country. If you have documentation which states the cancellation policy, I would also approach your bank to say it is a fraudulent transaction and you wish for it to be disputed. Your financial institution will contact the online agent and hotel, give them a demand to provide proof of the cancellation policy.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problem with cancellations in Ninh Binh, preferred agent

I can now report back that my problem has been resolved. I have had direct contact with the hotel and reached a resolution. Many thanks to the hotel involved, Ninh Binh Legend Hotel, with explanations of delayed response due to Tet accepted. I do have a difficulty with the booking agent, Hotels.com. About 8 phone calls made to them, over several days, with one disconnected when I asked to speak to a supervisor, plus a number of emails, finally resolved the issue. It was acknowledged by them, with an apology, that their systems apparently applied an incorrect cancellation policy to the booking, whereby if I cancelled, on line, well in advance, I would be required to pay almost 2.5 times the original booking total, In addition the original booking screen displayed NO CANCELLATION FEE. I would be very hesitant in using the Hotels.com site again. If you decide to use this site I suggest you carefully check ALL details.

Greg

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Problem with cancellations in Ninh Binh, preferred agent

KVE1005, whilst I was able to sort this out with the involved hotel it was actually the booking site, Hotels.com, that got things screwed up. Their call centre, based in India, does have difficulty, at times, in providing a response that is clearly understood to an Australian - due to accent and pronounciaton etc. I do not hold any grievance in that respect. To think that an original booking valued at AUD288 would attract a cancellation fee of AUD729 when cancelled 6 weeks in advance is ridiculous IMO. Then angst and time spent with fixing this has given me a good dose of the trots.

Greg

Edited: 19 February 2013, 04:21
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Problem with cancellations in Ninh Binh, preferred agent

Glad to hear you reach a good solution.That's why in Vietnam, it is always best to book directly with the owner of the product/service.

7. Re: Problem with cancellations in Ninh Binh, preferred agent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 07:17