We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi scam at the ferry terminal.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
662 posts
448 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi scam at the ferry terminal.

As we were off to get a cab arriving from HCMC we were met by a ''agent'' (for want of a better word!!) immediately I thought-- scam. Shown to a Vinasun cab, so I was a little easier,put the bags in and the agent says ''taxi voucher-200000 dong''. So I said no ,on the meter, I pay the driver. Then he got demanding and aggressive, so I got out of the cab and told him to f off. With that he's off across the car park like a whippet. The drivers really sheepish at this point, and takes us to the Pietro House Hotel for 26000 on the meter. Then I asked him what he was playing at,and told him he was a thief!!! So he's still looking pretty anxious - and wouldn't look me in the eye. But then, I am 6' 4'' so I guess that's why the other bloke made off so quickly.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi scam at the ferry terminal.

The taxi driver we hailed today wanted the same for a 3 km trip. Gave him $5, even though meter said 48,000 VND ( less than $2.50, to avoid argument.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi scam at the ferry terminal.

pOppies, by giving in to avoid an argument only promotes scams. If you pay what is on the meter of a reliable cab, plus a tip if considered really apppropriate, makes it easier for those who follow. Azurian, well done to stand your ground.

Greg

Edited: 24 November 2012, 21:37
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,508 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi scam at the ferry terminal.

Dont quite understand this thread. Where does Vung Tau and the ferry terminal fit ?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,208 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi scam at the ferry terminal.

>>As we were off to get a cab arriving from HCMC<<, the forum and the title

seems to indicate they went from HCMC to Vung Tau on a ferry.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,508 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi scam at the ferry terminal.

OK got that...now where does the"" taxi scam at the ferry terminal" that was quoted at 200,000Dong fit in ? Then an actual fare of 26000 which is disputed as well ?

Ross

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,985 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi scam at the ferry terminal.

Ross ... I don't think he was disputing the 26000 ... just kept his rant to the driver going a bit longer re the original 200000 request.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
662 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi scam at the ferry terminal.

Thanks Susan.I was just about to post that!!! I was putting him on the spot as to why there was such a big difference in the meter price and his original

''Voucher price'' . His English conversation skills seemed to have deserted him by then.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,985 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi scam at the ferry terminal.

LOL ... we had the cab with the meter spinning out of control. I had a similarly loud discussion with our driver ... but no height or weight to back up my verbal assault :)

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi scam at the ferry terminal.

Whenever I go to Vung Tau I dismiss all the taxis and motobike drivers that try to scam everyone and head straight for Ned Kellys for a coldone. After 10 minutes all the scammers are gone and if you need a taxi they can call one for you and it will be a reputable one. They also rent moto's if you're so inclined. They know the ferry arrives on the hour and they're there waiting like a pack of hungry wolves.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
662 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi scam at the ferry terminal.

Is it just me?? We returned to HCMC today on the Hydrtofoil. No taxis at the ferry terminal in HCMC apart from Saigon Tourist Taxis. The guy spoke good English and knew our hotel!!!! After 100 yards he said '' where do you want to go-i need a map'' So I said Bien Vue we'll direct you''. With that he sets off in completely the wrong direction. Then I noticed that in the last 200 yards the meter was reading 45000 Dong. So I shouted stop the cab we're not paying that price. It wasn't till I opened the door when we were still moving that he stopped. Then he had the nerve to demand the 45000 or he'd call the police!!!! After many expletives were exchanged he realised we weren't paying and he drove off. Got in a Vinasun and paid 30000 to the Aston Hotel. There must be a moral here which is that every taxi driver is out to screw you. Or trust no one.

Edited: 27 November 2012, 12:35
Get answers to your questions about Vung Tau