We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus to vung tau?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
bus to vung tau?

After reading reports of the ferry fire the other day ,I'm now forced to find a way from the airport to Vung Tau.

I've always caught the ferry in the past(and prefer it to road travel)

So where do you catch the bus, does one leave from the airport?

Im arriving around 8-9 am tuesday

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus to vung tau?

Ill answer my own question.

After arriving at the airport I asked around and was advised there were buses but they were very crowded and if I could afford a taxi I would be better off.

I got a taxi voucher from the kiosk just outside where your baggage is scanned.

The voucher was for 1,580 000 dong ($87 AUD @ 18100VND to the dollar)) and guarantees you will pay no more. The kiosk has it own brand of taxi and they walk you out to their own driver

Trip took about 2 hours from airport to my hotel on the new section of road which is a bit quicker than the hydrofoil if you take into account the 30 minute taxi ride to the ferry .

We seemed to be going around in circles at one point but the driver pointed out we had to do this to get around the final stages of construction for the new highway and bridges.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,756 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus to vung tau?

Sorry, I didn't see your original post, Ross.

I had given info about the bus in another thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303946-i9399-k712…

Good thing to know about the airport taxi.

The cost was a few US dollars more than what I saw quoted on line for private cars, but nothing outrageous.

Cheers,

John

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,036 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus to vung tau?

Found this on youtube.

Video of the new expressway to Vung Tau

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSX0iK9P2Cc

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus to vung tau?

There are bus services from Vung Tau to Tan Son Nhat airport and vice versa. Don't fall for the old "no more buses, you'd better take a taxi" trick - it's an oldie but still works on the unsuspecting traveller! Go online or ask at the bus station near Vung Tau GPO (near top of NKKN and XVNT streets, entrance on both).

But see comments on other posts about imminent(!) resumption of (Greenlines) ferry services...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: bus to vung tau?

Looking at the video tells me they have finished the ramps onto the highway but not much else.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,756 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus to vung tau?

Ross, I've watched at least 50 video clips from this guy, Andatcoc.

Maybe a hundred.

I learned to get used to them because I love them.

This guy is a pure roadster.

I've learned a lot of new roads from him, or reobserved the roads to study certain stretches.

This particular one was speeded up.

This part of the expressway is only 20km long.

The video lasted some 10 minutes.

You can look at the time stamp and see the clock rolling.

From Vung Tau, you still need to take Hwy 51 to get to the entrance to the expressway.

(The good thing is that HWy 51 is divided in this stretch, with a few open spots at major intersection.)

Of course, from the different hotels to Hwy 51 requires some time.

But Vung Tau is a rather laid-back city where you only encounter heavy traffic on the weekends and summertime.

So let me rephrase this.

First, from your hotel in VT to Hwy 51.

Then onto the entrance to the expressway.

The expressway is from Long Thanh to the outskirt of Saigon (HCMC).

Then you exit and take different routes to your destination in Saigon.

To go to the main tourist district 1 for example, you take the beltway 2 (South-Southwest), make a few turns to go through district 2, before crossing the Thu Thiem tunnel (cross the river) to get to your destination.

At the moment, these areas are not heavily populated, so the traffic is light, especially comparing to the old route (which is both further in distance and heavier in traffic.)

John

7. Re: bus to vung tau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Vung Tau