We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mitzpe Ramon- alternative to Chan Hashayarot

NYC
7 posts
Save Topic
Mitzpe Ramon- alternative to Chan Hashayarot

We will be traveling w our kids (8+6) to mitzpe ramon in june. Wanted to stay at Chan Hashayarot for a fun bedouin tent experience but they are booked. Does anyone have any other fun/special recommendations? What about Beerot campground in the machtesh? I know about the Alpaca Farm and have read a bit about Carme Avdat.

We will not have sleeping gear with us.

Also, any recommendations for rapelling and jeep guide or company?

Thank you.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,926 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mitzpe Ramon- alternative to Chan Hashayarot

If you will be by the Dead Sea you can stay at Havat Nokdim, no equipment required like in Beerot. If you only want activities and food try Genesis Land. Neither are in Mitzpeh Ramon, but are in Convenient locations.

I use Ohad out of Mitzpeh Ramon, he is excellent, also wirh kids. I will provide contact information upon request.

Chana

Israel

NYC
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mitzpe Ramon- alternative to Chan Hashayarot

Thank you Chana. I am considering Kfar Hanokdim when we are by Masada and was wondering if it is a good starting pt for a sunrise climb. I know it is from the west side via the roman path (20 min climb) vs 45 min ride to the east snake path/cable car. Does this matter? Any pros/cons? If so, any other good massada accommodation for sunrise ascent?

For Mitzpe Ramon want something close by as we want to explore the machtesh and don't want to drive an hour to get there.

We are coming fr Jerusalem thru Beit Guvrin to Mitzpe Ramon to Eilat and then up thru Massada/Dead sea.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,926 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mitzpe Ramon- alternative to Chan Hashayarot

The sun rises from the east, so it is significant in that sense. Since your children are 6 and 8 I do not recommend the sunrise climb in any case. You should allow them to get a good nights rest, otherwise the entire day is shot and that would be ashamed. I would stay overnight at Kfar Nokdim and walk up the Roman Ramp first thing in the morning (opens at 8) which is not too difficult for such young kids and more manageable time wise, especially if you are thinking of coming in the hot months of the year.

Your trip sounds perfect. Will you be doing Dig of a Day at Beit Guvrin? It's so much fun.

The website for Ramon Tours (Ohad) is: http://www.ramontours.com/201041/english

Chana

Israel

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,916 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mitzpe Ramon- alternative to Chan Hashayarot

Another option is contacting Adam Sela. Quite a few on this forum have taken a jeep tour with him, including me. He can aslo take care of acommodation and you can visit and learn about the Beduin way of life. Contact him at www.adamsela.com

NYC
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mitzpe Ramon- alternative to Chan Hashayarot

Yes, plan to do dig at Beit Guvrin. I hear it is great.

We leave Eilat in the morning and will do Ein Gedi and the Dead sea (beach recommendation?) that same day. Then, we stay overnight to do masada in the morning. (Thanks for the reality check abt the sunrise hike w the kids. : ) ) If we do Kfar Hanokdim that means driving an hour on day 1 and day 2 which I'm not thrilled about but i guess if we want that kind of experience that's our only choice since Chan Hashayarot is booked. Is there any other similar kind of "bedouin camping" you know near mitzpe ramon or closer to Massada/dead sea?

Still looking for alternative place to stay near MItzpe Ramon.

Thank you for all of the guide information....

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,660 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mitzpe Ramon- alternative to Chan Hashayarot

Kfar Nokdim is actually the "beduin/tent" experience that is the standard go-to for many tours such as Birthright and school trips (schools that come from abroad> They stay at Kfar Nokdim and then climb the Roman Ramp up to Masada.

It's enough of a climb to give you the feeling of how high and defensible Masada was, without wearing yourself out completely - and these groups are all much older than your kids - for your kids, this is really enough of a climb.

Have you checked with Kfar Nokdim to see if they have availability for the date you need? They are pretty busy this time of year too.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,926 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mitzpe Ramon- alternative to Chan Hashayarot

Since you are coming from Eilat the most logical beach to visit is the Ein Boqek public beach near the hotels just a bit off the highway to Arad Masada. In Mitzpeh Ramon there is an excellent field school with inexpensive accomodations where you can all sleep in one room for a low price. Ohad who lives there may know of other camping options I am unaware of.

Chana

Israel

sarasota,FL
Level Contributor
175 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mitzpe Ramon- alternative to Chan Hashayarot

We just returned(May 16) from Israel and we spent an incredible time with Adam Sela in Mitzpe Ramon. We highly rec. him. Check his reviews on Trip Advisor.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mitzpe Ramon- alternative to Chan Hashayarot

Have a look at the Desert Ecolodge http://www.negevecolodge.com/ It's one of the Israel Hostels group (independent hostels) and a very 'at-one-with-nature' kind of place - perfect for families. They have the whole Bedouin experience with outdoor eating areas and mattresses, as well as nice bungalow rooms if you don't have all the gear for camping.

You should also check out Astronomy Israel http://www.astronomyisrael.com/ for a really nice experience - Ira runs tours of the night skies over the machtesh and is very knowledgeable.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mitzpe Ramon- alternative to Chan Hashayarot

Just remember that it can be extremely hot in June. As far as I am concerned this is not the temperature for staying in a Beduin tent in the south or actually all over Israel.

I highly recommend contacting Adam Sela. He will help you find a suitable place to stay and his adveture jeep trips are great.