We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petra tour from Mitspe Ramon

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Petra tour from Mitspe Ramon

I am going to Israel in early march and would like to get a tour to Petra. It seems like all the tours come from Eilat but I don't understand why any come from Mitspe Ramon or other nearby places? I will be driving from Jerusalem and stopping in Mitspe Ramon before heading to Eilat so I thought it makes most sense to get a tour from Mitspe Ramon. I can't find any. Does anyone know of any tours to Petra from Mistpe Ramon? If not, which do you recomend?

Thanks for your help!

Edited: 03 November 2013, 23:41
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,946 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petra tour from Mitspe Ramon

The border crossing is just north of Eilat. There is no place to cross the border at the latitude of Mitzpe Ramon. Accordingly, Eilat is where most of the tours go from, and I recommend Desert Eco Tours, whom I am using next week to visit Petra for the first time.

Douglas Duckett

Leaving tomorrow for Israel!

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petra tour from Mitspe Ramon

Mitzpeh Ramon is a small town in the middle of the Negev desert. It doesn't make sense to have a tour from this small location so far from the Jordanian border. It is a two hour drive from the border near Eilat to Petra. The border crossing early in the morning can take an hour or more (or less if you are lucky). From Eilat, you can consider it taking a good three hours or more to get to Petra. Petra is a really great place to explore but you don't want to spend all day traveling back and forth and not having time there.

Mitzpeh Ramon is the perfect location for touring the Machtesh and participating in desert activities. As far as Israel is concerned (and given that it is a small country), Mitzpeh Ramon is fairly remote.

Desert Eco-tours from Eilat runs really good tours but there are several companies so you can compare. Be sure to check reviews before booking, some tours are better than others. I have used 2 different companies but liked Desert Eco-tours better than Ahalan Olympus Tours though A. O. was fine.

Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,262 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petra tour from Mitspe Ramon

If you are driving to Mitzpe Ramon, continue south for about two hours and take a tour to Petra the following morning. If you take a group tour, precedence is set for such groups to cross over before individuals. Another company to check regarding tours is Thru-us, also based in Eilat.

4. Re: Petra tour from Mitspe Ramon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 08:16
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now