We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Makhtesh Katan

USA
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
The Makhtesh Katan

We will be staying for 2 nights at the Beresheet Hotel. (I hope it is worth it; it is the most expensive hotel I have ever stayed at). One day, we will do a tour with Adam Sela.

Is it worthwhile for us to try to see The Makhtesh Katan, while we are down there? We do not have much time and there are other places we would like to see (including Sde Boker and Ein Evdat), and of course we want to spend some time at the hotel and walking around there. So I am trying to figure out whether a trip to Makhtesh Katan is worthwhile. What do you think? How long at drive would it be from the Beresheet Hotel?

What are other "must sees" (or "really should sees") in that area?

Thank you.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Makhtesh Katan

Since you will be in Makhtesh Ramon there is no need to go to the Makhtesh HaKatan, unless you feel like driving via that area (consult a map). There is colored sand there, but also in Makhtesh Ramon. HaMakhtesh HaGadol is much more impressive of the two (with a petrified forest). You can skip both this time around. You will love Bereshit, even at that price. It's something out of this world (don't forget to come back and tell us about it).

Don't forget the colored sand (bring bottles to make sand designs), Alpaca farm, Bio Ramon, Ben Gurion's Grave site (en-route) and Ein Avdat. Makhtesh Ramon has lots of trails, short and long which are great for hiking. Going in a jeep is fun and you get to places you normally wouldn't but hiking by foot is an experience like none-other and is highly recommended - just be sure you have a map and plenty of water.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 02 March 2014, 17:11
USA
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Makhtesh Katan

Thanks Chana! I read some reviews about visiting Ein Avdat, and I am confused by the two entrances. It sounds like at one entrance there is just a viewing platform, and in the other entrance a hike which can be done only one way? Maybe I am confused. What would you recommend there for a family that wants to spend an hour or two there, with maybe a walk, but not any rigorous hiking since it will likely be hot.

Mitspe Ramon, Israel
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Makhtesh Katan

hi onekbear

your best choice is to start ein avdat at one point and get picked up on the other.

otherwise i would drive to the lower entrance [turn right on road 40 to ben gurion collage and turn right again at the roundabout a in-front of the main yellow gate]

this way you can have an easy walk to the fountain and back without the need to climb.

concerning the makhtesh katan - ramon crater is just under your hotel and is the largest of is kind in the world and offers loads of tour opportunities. you really do not need to drive 1 hour to see another.

have a great vacation!

ezry

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Makhtesh Katan

You can see Ein Avdat from Ben Gurions grave site. As Ezry noted there is an entrance nearby, but unless you have two cars it is not possible to do the entire trail. I would suggest walking until you get to the area you need to climb up, turn around and go back to where you started. It's fun and less strenuous than doing the entire trail and is family friendly.

Chana

Israel

USA
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Makhtesh Katan

Thank you. So under this approach, there is no reason for me to go into the "upper entrance" at all? (I will not have two cars and will not have anyone to pick us up -- I will have just one rental car).

Edited: 02 March 2014, 19:09
Mitspe Ramon, Israel
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Makhtesh Katan

i cannot say for sure if paying in one entrance counts for the other but i'll check out for you.

the upper entrance has a very short and easy walk to a nice cliff above the Avdat gorge.

you can add just that without walking down.

any way, Chana's advise is good!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Makhtesh Katan

You certainly can use the same ticket to enter both sides of the park, it's the same park with two entrances.

Chana

Israel

8. Re: The Makhtesh Katan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2015, 13:15