We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary and lodging in Mitspe Ramon

Which Mitspe Ramon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary and lodging in Mitspe Ramon

Myself, husband and 10 year old daughter will arrive in Israel Thurs July 3. Thanks to the forum I have booked the first 3 nights in the Cinema in Tel Aviv to recharge. We want to rent car Sunday July 6 and drive to Mitspe Ramon. We need someone to stay that is clean, desert view rather than town, and not over $250 per night. I'm emailed Ibike (but website says they do not take children under 15) and Alpaca Farm. I've also looked at some simmers in Sde Boker, but I believe thats about 30 minutes away. Suggestions?

Also, please comment on proposed itinerary:

Sun morning: rent car in Tel Aviv and drive south

stop in Beersheva at the Israeli Air Force museum

Lunch in Sde Boker (Naot Farm or Kornmehl Farm)

check in somewhere in Mitspe Ramon

Stargazing with Astronomy Israel

Mon: Jeep tour to Mitzpeh

Lunch-

explore town, Faran tour or Albert Promenade

Dinner

Tues: leave for Jerusalem

stop on way at Ein Avdat

Thanks for everyones help!!!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,555 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary and lodging in Mitspe Ramon

I haven't stayed in the YHA hostel in Mitzpe Ramon, but I have stayed in the one in Shlomi (on the northern border; geographically obviously irrelevant but I'm sure the hostel is very similar). Here is my description of the room, post 10 in this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293983-i2582-k726…

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,819 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary and lodging in Mitspe Ramon

I have stayed at other YHA hostels. They are very similar. They have family rooms with showers, kitchenette with a kettle, fridge cups etc... Have a pool and breakfast. Highly recommended. Have a look at their website, it is accurate. I saw the building a week ago and it is near the cliff.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,460 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Itinerary and lodging in Mitspe Ramon

Since Mitzpeh Ramon is in the desert all the views are of the desert. The Israel Youth Hostel is very nice, about a 5-7 minute drive from town snd is a great place for budget lodgings. iBike, I agree is also nice with possiblity of delicious home cooked dinners available as well as breakfast. What do you need to contact the Alpaca Farm for? Sights that don't have good English speakers may not reply due to lack of typing skills - but may be able to talk on the phone.

Chana

Israel

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Itinerary and lodging in Mitspe Ramon

Kianinike, the International Youth hostel in Mitzpe Ramon is nice. It is quiet, clean, comfortable, and very close to the crater, and the staff were more then helpful and accommodating. I don't remember the views, as we just were there to sleep -

In regard to the jeep tour, I think with a 10 year old, half a day is plenty of time. Find a tour that will allow you time to be out climbing and exploring on foot, and ask for a tour guide who likes children and will speak to them - otherwise it becomes just a bumpy car ride for children.

The visitor's center and museum as well as the walk around the promenade were very interesting and well worth spending time. This year we will do some hiking in the crater with our children.

Edited: 16 March 2014, 16:27
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,361 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Itinerary and lodging in Mitspe Ramon

I agree with calling -- lots of Israeli businesses are slow to respond to e-mails, perhaps because of awkwardness in writing in English. Buy a $10 block of minutes from One Suite (www.onesuite.com), which offers a very inexpensive way to call Israel, and give them a call.

I also agree that with a ten-year-old, the half-day tour makes more sense. I'm doing a half-day tour with my partner Brett in March, and in some ways he is the moral equivalent of a ten-year-old. :-)

Douglas Duckett

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,420 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Itinerary and lodging in Mitspe Ramon

BTW--reading through his profile, I noticed that Ezry, who wrote the first response also owns and operates a company that gives jeep tours etc. in the area. He too seems very scrupulous in not mentioning that he is a guide.

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
96 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Itinerary and lodging in Mitspe Ramon

When you do speak to alpaca farms ask if the rooms have air conditioning. I saw the zimmers when I was there but I did not go in the rooms.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Itinerary and lodging in Mitspe Ramon

The Field School in Mitzpeh Ramon offers simple accommodations with dessert views. Their prices are reasonable.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Itinerary and lodging in Mitspe Ramon

I will agree with Adam that doing a jeep ride with a 10 year old is just way too much fun to limit it to 1/2 a day. The thing is that you are part of the time in the jeep and part of the time on the desert floor learning about the geology, flora and fauna. How exciting it would be for a child to spend a night in the desert camping and seeing the night sky as well as 'hearing' the desert' at night which definitely has its own sounds. I have also used Adam Sela (for a seniors tour with plenty of people worried about this part of our trip and their abilities). It was a highlight. I have taken plenty of young teens into the desert and their overnight desert experiences are also a highlight of the trip. Your guide will ensure that the trip is appropriate for all members of your family and I think a 10 year old would absolutely love this experience.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,819 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Itinerary and lodging in Mitspe Ramon

anmejoshme has lots of experience in touring with all ages, you'll have fabulous time with Adam or anyone of his team. If you do that please share your trip with us after that.