We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Government Rest House Wadi Rum

Warsaw, Poland
3 posts
Save Topic
Government Rest House Wadi Rum

Hi all,

I am going to Wadi Rum for climbing at the end of this year and I am looking for a campsite where I can pitch my own tent and that is close to Wadi Rum town (to stay close to Jebel Rum Massif). Perfect place for me would Government Rest House (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g30…). Anyone knows if it is still open and operational?

regards,

Piotr

9 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,621 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Government Rest House Wadi Rum

Hi Piotr again, I already wrote about it on LP. But here you can find a lot of camps where you can stay. And they arrange for you hiking or tour by jeep and also if you want ride camel etc.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g303973-W…

Warsaw, Poland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Government Rest House Wadi Rum

Hi Khamilia,

thanks for the answers you keep providing but they do not really answer question I am asking. I am fully aware that there are number of some kind of Bedouin camps scattered across the desert but they are not quite of my interest. Place that perfectly suits my needs is Goverment Rest House in Wadi Rum and a question here is whether it is up and running or not?

Actually Bedouin camps are not the only alternative. There are other options and it is not wild camping either.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,621 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Government Rest House Wadi Rum

Piotr, but I answered you on LP about that I heard also that Guest House is not working so much, they have some rooms but more I don't know about. So if you can put there your own tent, no idea. I doubt. It isn't a camp, it is more like a simple accommodation. If it works at all. Or if it is more like a restaurant there. And outside it is parking place where camps owners collect theirs guests.

Wait if Bianca, one member of TA come and see your question, maybe she know more, she is living there. I answered only what I know self.

Edited: 17 November 2017, 19:02
Warsaw, Poland
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Government Rest House Wadi Rum

The only real guidebook to this area "Treks and Climbs in \wadi Rum" as well as number of blogs and online articles states that actually it is a campsite.

What you wrote is pretty much in line with what is written here and denotes that this camp actually might be running: https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php…

"As you arrive in Wadi Rum village, you cannot miss the Resthouse on the right. Good but rather unvaried meals are available and camping costs 3 JD per night. The Resthouse used to be a busy tourist hub but was virtually deserted on my most recent visit. It is now also possible to find accommodation in private houses in the village."

it looks deserted...

Perhaps if Bianca come across this topic she could confirm.

Anyway Khamilia I would like to thank you very much for all the effort you put in helping me finding answer to my question :)

Piotr

Edited: 17 November 2017, 19:45
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,621 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Government Rest House Wadi Rum

So it is good if it is camping there, that I didn't know and thought there are only a few rooms. And right, sometimes it was very empty, but now when I was there, so many cars I never saw there before. It is peak season now and even probably when you will be there.

You are welcome, it was not much I could help you with. But what I knew, it was pleasure ☺

Good luck! Don't fall down when climbing. I was not climbing, only a little, just above the Rest House is path to go up to some springs, it was enough for me, but wonderful view from there. Rumm Mountain I think is the name of that with several natural springs ("Ayn ash-Shallalah).

Wadi Rum, Jordan
Level Contributor
589 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Government Rest House Wadi Rum

Hello Piotr,

The Rest House is operational, mostly as a restaurant and meeting point. And they also still have the campground where you can pinch your own tent.

Wishing you a great time in Wadi Rum,

Bianca Abma

Wadi Rum Nomads

Edited: 17 November 2017, 22:46
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Government Rest House Wadi Rum

Do you know if they still have rooms for people without tents to stay in?

Wadi Rum, Jordan
Level Contributor
589 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Government Rest House Wadi Rum

Hello Zandra,

The Rest House does not have rooms. There are a few Bedouin on Airbnb though. But having that said, why would you want to stay overnight in an uninteresting place as Rum village when you can stay overnight in the magnificent desert? An overnight stay in the desert is an exceptional experience which you don't want to miss out on.

Wishing you a great time in Wadi Rum,

Bianca Abma

Wadi Rum Nomads

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Government Rest House Wadi Rum

^Most climbers pitch camp, not in the camping ground which is practically alongside the car park, but behind the small ridge of rock behind the Rest House.

It sounds as if you are a newcomer to climbing in Wadi Rum, in which case I urge you to buy Tony Howard's book mentioned by Piotr. Quite a lot of it is online, check out the Cicerone Press link on google. Tony and Di will even answer short simple questions like this one for you, but they are away a lot, so you might have to wait a bit for an answer.

Reply to: Government Rest House Wadi Rum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted